Server Maintenance This Week. ×

spam after joining

This topic is 5137 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Within an hour of signing up as a member tonight I received over 50 junk emails. This was distinctly unusual since until now my filters have worked very well. I have not given out my email address to any other new site for several months, and I suspect this site has led to my email getting into the hands of spammers. Is this a known phenomenon here? How do I unjoin from here and erase my email address?

KJ

Hate to tell you this, but you're going to have to look else where for the source of the spam. Even if it WAS this site that started spamming you, you have to consider two things:

1) If it was the site that was sending the spam, you would've gotten it immediately, not an hour later.

2) The chance of spam bot crawling the site within an hour to lift your email address and immediately start sending you spam is 0.1%. Plus i'm reasonably sure email addresses aren't published anywhere.

A lot of the people on these forums have been members for years and never received any spam. This is a community driven website, and run's off donations not the value of selling off it's members email addresses at $0.01 a pop.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 5137 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.