Data Source Missing

This topic is 5068 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Folks:

I'm pretty new to Filemaker (11 Advanced).

I have connected to an Oracle database (xe on the same computer as Filemaker is installed).

I am able connect Filemaker to Oracle Xe using ODBC with no problems. I am able to add, delete data, etc. I am able to see all of the data within Filemaker (and I created all of the relationships, etc. within Filemaker).

The Problem:

When I create a runtime solution, I get the following error in each field where the data should be: ""

I am running the 'runtime' on the same computer (after closing out Filemaker).

I have been unable to figure out why the runtime solution is unable to connect with the XE database and retrieve the data.

1. I added the filemaker database as the "Primary" file under the Developers Utility. I reread the directions several times and I think everything is set ok before I run the "Create" button under the Developers Utilities.

2. There is no data BUT the structure of the tables appear to be intact (i.e. I can see all of the fields, just no data).

I'm probably missing something simple, but I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Matthew

Edited by Guest

Runtimes cannot connect to the network.

To connect to a shared database the full FMP client is needed.

Runtimes also have other limitations, such as not being able to save as pdf and no charts.

• Newbies

Hi Vaughan:

Thanks for replying to my question.

I was trying to decide on whether to use Filemaker or a competitor product for developing the front end to connect to our Oracle database. I guess if the Runtime can not connect to an external data source, then my decision is made for me :

The competitor product I have also been experimenting with the last couple of weeks is able to connect to Oracle with its free runtime. (It also allows printing to .pdf in its runtime... but that is not a deal breaker for me).

Matthew

• Newbies

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to mention the competitor so I didn't.

The competitor is the new Access 2010.

The one weakness Access has that Filemaker doesn't is that I could create runtimes to run on both Mac's and Windows (right now we run either bootcamp or parallels on many of our machines).

Our IT department is on a budget freeze right now so I wouldn't have the money to buy a copy of the full Filemaker for each of the dozens of end clients we have.

This topic is 5068 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.