Installing ODBC Drivers

This topic is 8373 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I want to install the FileMaker ODBC Driver on one machine so that it can point to another machine on the network which runs the FileMaker database. I cannot find where to download these drivers at all.

I want to export the data from the fileMaker database so that I can import it into SQL Server.

I seem to think that you have to install FileMaker to get the drivers? Is this right!?

• Newbies

Thanks heaps.

Are they special FileMaker files? Because I cannot seem to install those .fmx files on my machine anyway as generic FileMaker drivers etc just like the other ones I have "SQL Server", "MS Access" etc etc..

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Come on guys, what's with all the secret emails... ;-)

Our situation :

* We have many different FMP databases (on different machines), some that have been in use for nearly 5 years - none unfortunately created by this newbie...

* Although in the past we have been able to web-enable some of these for test purposes, the design process was far from ideal

* More recently we have been using ColdFusion to provide web (view) access to a whole range of other legacy databases (Access, SQLServer, Oracle etc.), and would now like to do the same with our FMP data as well

* But according to the FMP manual (15-4, item 5) "The FMP ODBC driver must be installed in the computer generating the SQL query".

Q) So how can I load the necessary FMP ODBC drivers onto our ColdFusion server WITHOUT having to load the whole FMP application - which would sort of defeat the whole object of using ODBC in the first place ?!

Note: (if relevant)

* All databases created using FMP5 (running on various different windows machines)

* ColdFusion Pro v4.5 server (running on NT4.0 Server)

Many thanks for any help anyone can give !

Mike

null

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: mlee ]

• Newbies

[Follow-up]

My colleague rushed out today and bought the FMP v5.5 upgrade - believing that it might have a better (or standalone) ODBC driver.

But Section 6 (ODBC) of the install ReadMe file, stated that FMP v5.5 installs an Oracle ODBC driver, and that if you are already using Oracle to remove the new ODBC driver that FMPv5.5 installs !

ANYONE like to comment on this revelation...?!

Also found the following thread relating to FMP integration over on the ColdFusion forum: http://forums.allaire.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=205715

Some of you folks playing around with FMP-ODBC connectivity might like to read and comment on it?

In fact I would be grateful for ANY comments... ;-)

This topic is 8373 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.