Data transfer

This topic is 8065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey... does anyone out there have suggestions on a product that will quickly transfer data between two similiar FMP databases? The situation we're in is our client would send us a copy of their database to fix/addto/etc, but expect to keep working on their existing copy. When we're finished, they'll send us what their current copy again.. we transfer the data, and send it back.

Data Junction probably does something like this efficiently--anyone have experience with this or other suggestions?

Thanks,

Dane

Could you not write an import routine into the database, so when you upgrade it each time you can then import their existing data.

This could be accomplished easily if the field names are not changing, you are just adding new fields and functions.

Yah, actually this is the direction we've moved since I wrote this yesterday...

We want it pretty well automated, though...My thought is that each file will have an import to import ...then have some script that calls each of these... Will this cause any data integrity issues?

Also, how does filemaker handle directory structures (e.g., relative references?)... that is to say, if i have a file "Contacts.fp5" in directory c:foo and want to import from c:foo2, I would want contacts.fp5 to have an import step to import from the ../foo2 directory... does it actually store this other directory, or does it store "c:foo2" or neither?

curious,

-Dane

This topic is 8065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.