Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker ODBC level 1 only ???

This topic is 8616 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just called the pre-sales tech support at Filemaker Inc and the rep I talked to told me that the ODBC in FMP 5 is "level 1" only, which disallow live connection and only allows import/export operations.

I have a lot of ASP applications and a lot of SQl Server 7 databases. We have some Filemaker databases and tools and I would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel by redeveloping those databases and interfaces.

Is there any way I can just get record sets from Filemaker via ODBC at all?

Thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:

I just called the pre-sales tech support at Filemaker Inc and the rep I talked to told me that the ODBC in FMP 5 is "level 1" only, which disallow live connection and only allows import/export operations.

I have a lot of ASP applications and a lot of SQl Server 7 databases. We have some Filemaker databases and tools and I would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel by redeveloping those databases and interfaces.

Is there any way I can just get record sets from Filemaker via ODBC at all?

Thanks a lot!

I am working on an ASP application and can retrieve data, with SQL, from a filemaker 5.0 database, but I can't insert anything. Is this a feature limitation?

There seems to be a problem, yes.

If you want to use a FileMaker database for web applications, you have to use Lasso.

In my personal case, I use ASP. Since one cannot marry two web technologies (although I have added some Perl scripts once in a while), I'd rather import the databases from Filemaker into SQL Server on a daily basis.

After all, my web applications only retrieve the information from this database. No modification is done at all...

I called the tech support with my access code, since that was my first install of an upgrade to Pro 5 (and by the way, all I needed is to have Access installed to qualify).

The tech support rep I talked to knew SQL Server 7 pretty well and all the MS Technology regarding ODBC and he agreed that the current ODBC driver was "not very competitive" and was being rewritten.

Now, this is of course not an official statement.

A good ODBC driver is the one for Access: all you need to do is link to a .mdb file and that is it. You do not have to start Access and host the database, unlike with Filemaker, where you have to do this in order for the ODBC driver to find the database.

This topic is 8616 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.