Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Intermittent web publishing shutdowns

This topic is 4880 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Our school has used FMP since at least 1999. I've had to do very little to it over the years because it has been rock solid.

I installed a fresh version of FMP server 11 on a Mac Mini Server running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) server. Setup went well even though I had to use DVD drive sharing for the first time (since the Mac Mini servers don't have any optical media readers).

The server has been running FMP 11 since mid-August with no problems. Once we opened up the lunch database to the public via web publishing, however, I started to get complaints that the server was "unavailable."

Looking at the console showed me that web publishing was not running. A simple click would get it going again, and I would not have another problem...until the following day. Or later in the day. Or whenever. It seems that web publishing is turning off intermittently, and I cannot determine any kind of reason for it.

Looking at all the modules for errors in the log viewer, I find the following:

Publishing Engine Error FM Web Publishing - - wpc1 Error: 500

Publishing Engine Error FM Web Publishing - - wpc1 wpc1 Web Scripting Error: 401, File: (script name)

Publishing Engine Error FM Web Publishing - - wpc1 Web Scripting Error: 101, File: (script name)

Publishing Engine Error [28839:0000][error]ajp_get_reply::jk_ajp_common.c (1592):P(wpc1): Tomcat is down or refused connection. No response has been sent to the client (yet).

Publishing Engine Error [28839:0000][error]ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1953):(wpc1): Connecting to Tomcat failed. Tomcat is probably not started or is listening on the wrong port.

These errors are repeated throughout, not a ton, but enough to investigate. I have the DB author looking at the 3 or 4 scripts that are throwing the 401 and 101 errors. With regards to Tomcat, it is running and listening on port 80.

I would appreciate any thoughts on where to go from here. I tried to call FMP tech support, but I keep getting a busy signal after I go through the prompts to get to tech support. Ugh.

Thank you so much!

-Dave

Just another school tech guy

Thank you for the reply. This is FMP Server Advanced. Admin Console version is 11.0.1.95.

Apache 2.2 web service is running. I am using IWP. PHP, XML and XSLT publishing are disabled.

IWP is working correctly for the most part; I've had over 100 families modify the DB via IWP over the past few weeks...web publishing simply stops now and again.

The platform is OS X Server 10.6.4.

Thanks again for your consideration.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

I have been having the same problem for about six months now. Every so often I get the following two messages a few minutes apart.

FileMaker Server 11.0.2.217 on FM-Server reported the following event:

Wed Dec 22 19:20:32 EST 2010 FMS WARNING wpe1

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: POTENTIAL PROBLEM.

Contact information not specified.

FileMaker Server 11.0.2.217 on FM-Server reported the following event:

Wed Dec 22 19:22:03 EST 2010 FMS WARNING wpe1

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

Contact information not specified.

Sometimes the web publishing engine will go down three times in one day, and sometimes it will stay up for a week or more. The WPE goes down when the server emails me the first message. I have to log in to Server Admin and click the Start Web Publishing button to get up and running again.

I am running Server 11 Advanced on a Mac Snow Leopard Server. Web Server and Web Publishing Engine are running on a separate Mac Snow Leopard Server. I am running the latest version of Filemaker and the two servers are fully updated. The servers are connected directly with an Ethernet crossover cable. We are serving PHP pages and IWP pages. The PHP pages are being served over port 80. The IWP pages are being served over an SSL connection. The IWP users are logging in using Filemaker accounts of which there are several hundred on the FM Server.

I suspect that the connection is being broken when IWP users log in or log out. I have gotten a strange error message when logging in with IWP and the connection broke when this happened but I was not aware of what was happening and did not make note of the error message.

Our CWP users peak at around 30 and our IWP users peak at 4.

Any ideas on this one?

Mike

This topic is 4880 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.