Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Drill down Drop down lists

This topic is 8586 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Not sure how to ask this question, so I'll start by an example.

I have seen a web site that asked for a manufaturer in a pull down list, then the next pull down list was more specific to the model number of that manufacturer, and a third pull down the size of the item. You would then be presented with one result. This searching technique I would like to duplicate. Is there a way to build a database in filemaker to accomplish this task.

Thanks muchly in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by rwilkins:

Not sure how to ask this question, so I'll start by an example.

I have seen a web site that asked for a manufaturer in a pull down list, then the next pull down list was more specific to the model number of that manufacturer, and a third pull down the size of the item. You would then be presented with one result. This searching technique I would like to duplicate. Is there a way to build a database in filemaker to accomplish this task.

Thanks muchly in advance.

There are a number of ways to do this. If you're working in FMP 5, there is a built-in method for what you want, which is often called hierarchal value lists.

If you're using either version 3 or 4 of FileMaker, you have multiple techniques to choose from. Check out www.databasepros.com, and see the resource section. They have a number of technique files and tutorials that demonstrate how to accomplish hierarchal value lists.

Chuck

• 1 month later...

Doing this on a web site is a bit different from doing it within a FileMaker Pro layout.

Unfortunately it appears that FMP5's hierarchial value lists don't work over the web.

One simple work around is to do the search in multiple steps not one. The first step selects the manufacturer (they click continue) the next step lets them see the chosen manufacturer's categories (click to continue) the third displays the products in the choosen categoty.

The one-step method could be done in FMP with a lot of hard-coding of choices but the hard-cosing part kinda defeats the purpose of dynamically generated pages IMHO.

This topic is 8586 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.