Client Speed Deterioration

This topic is 8603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Small network, FM4v03, PowerMacs 8.6.

Open say 6 FM files via Hosts on Client Mac. Press a button within a file to switch to one of the opened files - the button operates a simple script (external script opening via hosts). This works instantly.

Now the problem. At some time, perhaps an hour or a day or two later (I haven't been able to see a pattern), after pressing a button there is delay of say 10 seconds before the required file displays - as though it is opening from scratch. Once this occurs, there is always a delay from that particular button, i.e. it doesn't speed up again. This can happen on both Client computers.

The initial fix is to confirm the script, i.e. 'edit' the script by merely pressing OK and Done etc. Everything always appears OK but going through the motions fixes it until the next time..

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Is the host computer running FM4 or Server?

How much memory is allocated to the Host FM?

Are you using AppleTalk or TCP/IP for connection?

How many clients?

--------------------------------

quote:

Originally posted by Keith Shelton:

Small network, FM4v03, PowerMacs 8.6.

Open say 6 FM files via Hosts on Client Mac. Press a button within a file to switch to one of the opened files - the button operates a simple script (external script opening via hosts). This works instantly.

Now the problem. At some time, perhaps an hour or a day or two later (I haven't been able to see a pattern), after pressing a button there is delay of say 10 seconds before the required file displays - as though it is opening from scratch. Once this occurs, there is always a delay from that particular button, i.e. it doesn't speed up again. This can happen on both Client computers.

The initial fix is to confirm the script, i.e. 'edit' the script by merely pressing OK and Done etc. Everything always appears OK but going through the motions fixes it until the next time..

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

------------------

A. Travis Polland

FileMaker Developer

AT&T Broadband

Information Technology Solutions

5619 DTC Parkway, #439

Englewood, CO 80111

[email protected]

Is the host computer running FM4 or Server? ....... FM4

How much memory is allocated to the Host FM? ....... 50 Mb

Are you using AppleTalk or TCP/IP for connection? ....... MacIPX (If we use TCP/IP on host, FM tries to connect to Internet as Host uses Modem etc. for Internet.)

How many clients? ....... 2

Thanks

Ok,

MacIPx can be a little slow...I would turn the host to Appletalk and the clients to Appletalk. This would prevent the dialup connection on the host computer.

For a true host computer, it should not be used be anyone and FileMaker should also be in the front of any other applications (including the Finder).

Does any of your computers on your network dial out the internet via PPP? If not just setup your network to run TCP/IP without dialing the internet. TCP is the fastest connection and can support both Macs and PCs on the same network (unlike Appletalk, without special software on the PCs).

Travis

quote:

Is the host computer running FM4 or Server? ....... FM4

How much memory is allocated to the Host FM? ....... 50 Mb

Are you using AppleTalk or TCP/IP for connection? ....... MacIPX (If we use TCP/IP on host, FM tries to connect to Internet as Host uses Modem etc. for Internet.)

How many clients? ....... 2

Thanks

Thanks for your comments which I understand and agree with.

Only the host connects to the internet.

I could try Appletalk but I do have my doubts as the problem seems to be the FM script somehow losing its way, i.e. if network is inactive and a button is pressed to activate a file, the file will appear instantly but once the problem occurs, it will always take several seconds. The only cure being to go through the script again and it is then back to instant reaction. It is not a general variation in speed - it is instant when correct and slow when it has lost its way.

Thanks again.

We are talking about a file which is already open on the Host and Client computers. The script is a simple one which merely links to the Opening Script for the particular file, i.e. open via external script. It does of course use the Host button to open the file. The problem is always cured by merely going through the script and pressing OK and Done but without ever seeing what you have achieved, i.e. everything always appears OK as you go through the script. The script then reacts instantly again.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Hmmmm....

What does your script say? and do? detail. =)

I may have misunderstood your question/problem.

Travis

quote:

Thanks for your comments which I understand and agree with.

Only the host connects to the internet.

I could try Appletalk but I do have my doubts as the problem seems to be the FM script somehow losing its way, i.e. if network is inactive and a button is pressed to activate a file, the file will appear instantly but once the problem occurs, it will always take several seconds. The only cure being to go through the script again and it is then back to instant reaction. It is not a general variation in speed - it is instant when correct and slow when it has lost its way.

Thanks again.

I going to think on this one. =

Host: Hosting database files. No one works on the host computer.

Client: Open script calls open the hosted database(s) from the host computer.

Example: Script: Open(db.fp3,"*")

Or External Script(db.fp3, external script)

Thinking aloud. =

I will write again.

quote:

We are talking about a file which is already open on the Host and Client computers. The script is a simple one which merely links to the Opening Script for the particular file, i.e. open via external script. It does of course use the Host button to open the file. The problem is always cured by merely going through the script and pressing OK and Done but without ever seeing what you have achieved, i.e. everything always appears OK as you go through the script. The script then reacts instantly again.

Thanks again for your efforts.

[This message has been edited by Polland (edited October 19, 2000).]

I would dump MacIPX and switch to AppleTalk for two reasons: IPX is not a native apple protocol; and FMP5 no longer supports IPX so it's a dead end.

I have also read elsewhere that FileMaker Pro 4 can have *too much* memory allocated to it. If so it slows down. Try dropping the allocation to 20MB ram and see what happens.

This might sound dumb, but is the host machine set to go into energy saver mode at all? This could slow down the procesor or even put it to sleep, which could explain the delay to get it spinning up again. Monitor sleep is fine, but disable hard disk or processor sleep or cycling.

This topic is 8603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.