Page number on layout won't print

This topic is 8596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've attempted to have a page number print in preview mode by following the instructions to click on the layout where I want it and then to go to Edit, Paste Special, Page Number and the double ## appears but doesn't print. What am I missing. Thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by DaveL:

I've attempted to have a page number print in preview mode by following the instructions to click on the layout where I want it and then to go to Edit, Paste Special, Page Number and the double ## appears but doesn't print. What am I missing. Thank you.

Does anything print? Or do you get nothing in the area where you want the page number?

Chuck

• Newbies

Nothing prints at all. In Layout, I have tried putting the page number in the footer as well as the body. It doesn't print in either. The User's Guide is not very helpful in this situation. By the way, I am using v.4.0

Dave

Do you want the page number to show up in a print or in preview mode. If you want it in preview mode then you have to go to preview mode, then have your script go to the last page of the document then go back to the first page, then the page numbers will show up. For printing it sounds like everything you did is correct and the page numbers should show.

• Newbies

The exact procedure I followed is to go to layout, click at the location I want the page number to appear, go to Edit, Paste Special, Page Number and the double ## appears at the location I clicked. I then go to preview mode and print. The page number does not appear on the printed page. Am I missing a step or doing something improper?

Thanks.

Yes, there is one more step. Change to Preview mode to view the page as it will print. Page numbers are NOT calculated in Browse mode...

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited November 02, 2000).]

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Yes, there is one more step. Change to Preview mode to view the page as it will print. Page numbers are calculated in Browse mode...

I have viewed the page in Preview. The page number is not reflected. I must be doing something wrong in attempting to insert a page number.

I just did it myself in FMP 4.0v3 Mac. I changed to layout mode, created a new layout. From the Edit menu (still in layout mode) I selected Paste Special: Page Number. A text block with "##" was pasted into the document. I dragged it down into the bottom right side of the footer (I made the footer a bit bigger so it fitted completely within the part).

In Browse mode the page number displys a "?" to indicate that it cannot work out what the page number is. Change to Preview mode and "1" appears on the first page, "2" on the second.

In your database create a new layout (it can be blank for the exercise) and see if you can get it to work.

This topic is 8596 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.