Supercontainer companion auto update failure

This topic is 4831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FMPA 11.0v2 client on Vista SP2 and on server 2003 SP2

Existing supercontainer: 2.75 or 2.76

Script update attempt to 2.76 or 2.77

The version check is successful, the new version is downloaded to "SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin.fmx.new" in the appropriate user extensions.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions for vista, the documents & settings location for the server 2003

But then the .new never gets put into place.

After downloading the .new, the preferences->plugins no longer even shows the SuperContainer Companion Plugin, although it shows up after restarting filemaker (with the old version number, the .new file still sitting there unutilized.)

** I did remove ALL other plugins for testing, there was no change whatsoever.

---

I tried a couple other addons (360work email, 360works ftpeek) and these updated successfully. (version check, download to .new, replace existing .fmx with .fmx.new file, upon restart of filemaker the appropriate version is in place.) The update works successfully in OSX with the same filemaker versions.

Best I can determine, the supercontainer companion plugin is staying locked and unmovable, and so the update transition of files just fails, but I didn't have the problem with other 360works plugins. I can confirm this problem by attempting to move the supercontainer_companion_plugin.fmx with filemaker open (even with no databases open) whereupon I receive the "This action can't be completed because the file is open in another program" error.

If I manually remove the supercontainer companion plugin (with filemaker closed), an install works successfully using the plugin script.

* Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge fmxInit // CONFIG: Return VERSION_CURRENT: 51 was the last entry before opening the file with the update attempt

* (C++ Thu Dec 30 17:08:50 2010) Shutdown complete -- Update/download/install activity complete, but .new not installed

* The remainder comes while closing filemaker (and the db.)

(C++ Thu Dec 30 17:06:16 2010) *** INIT for SuperContainer Companion Plugin_FMAdvanced at Thu Dec 30 17:06:16 2010, headless mode 0

(C++ Thu Dec 30 17:06:16 2010) Found JVM dll at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge initLogging

CONFIG: Will write normal log file to C:\Users\nehpets\Documents\360Plugin Logs\SuperContainer Companion Plugin_FMAdvanced.log

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge initWindows

CONFIG: Loading dynamic library at C:\Users\nehpets\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions\SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin.fmx

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge initWindows

CONFIG: Loading plugin jar at C:\Users\nehpets\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions\SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin.fmx

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge getPluginClassNameForPluginJar

CONFIG: Loading Plugin class named com.prosc.supercontainer.plugin.SuperContainerPlugin

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$1 checkPermission

INFO: You cannot change the security manager once it is installed by the 360Works plugin library

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge loadVersion8Lib

CONFIG: version 8 lib is null, will not load

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge fmxInit

INFO: Creating shared PluginBridge instance / plugin bridge version 1.61

bundlePath: C:\Users\nehpets\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions\SuperContainer_Companion_Plugin.fmx

jvm version: 19.0-b09 from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6

Operating system info: Windows Vista 6.0 running on x86 architecture

CONFIG: Initialize SuperContainer Companion Plugin

Dec 30, 2010 5:06:16 PM com.prosc.fmkit.Plugin init

CONFIG: Created new plugin instance: com.prosc.supercontainer.plugin.SuperContainerPlugin named SuperContainer Companion Plugin; version: 2.75

CONFIG: Return VERSION_CURRENT: 51

Dec 30, 2010 5:08:47 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$3 run

CONFIG: === Executing plugin function SCVersion on thread main ===

Dec 30, 2010 5:08:48 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$3 run

(C++ Thu Dec 30 17:08:50 2010) *** SHUTDOWN SuperContainer Companion Plugin_FMAdvanced ***

Dec 30, 2010 5:08:50 PM com.prosc.supercontainer.plugin.SCPluginModel clearLocalCache

INFO: Deleting temp files from cache...

Dec 30, 2010 5:08:50 PM com.prosc.supercontainer.plugin.SCPluginModel clearLocalCache

INFO: Finished deleting 0 temp files from cache.

Dec 30, 2010 5:08:50 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge fmxShutdown

INFO: Shutting down - Active threads: [Thread[main,5,main], Thread[AWT-Windows,6,main]]

Dec 30, 2010 5:08:50 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge fmxShutdown

CONFIG: PluginBridge shutdown finished

(C++ Thu Dec 30 17:08:50 2010) Shutdown complete

Dec 30, 2010 5:12:50 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge$3 run

Dec 30, 2010 5:12:50 PM com.prosc.fmkit.PluginBridge fmxShutdown

INFO: Shutting down - Active threads: [Thread[main,5,main], Thread[AWT-Windows,6,main]]

INFO: Shutting down com.prosc.ftpeek.FTPeekPlugin

CONFIG: Shutting down PluginBridge

This sounds like a permissions issue. Also, make sure you delete the plugin from both the auto-update directory AND the regular filemaker/Extensions directory. If there is a copy of the plugin in there it will cause auto-update to fail.

We have scripts you can use to download plugins directly from us at fmp7://autoupdate.360works.com/AutoUpdate360Works

This sounds like a permissions issue. Also, make sure you delete the plugin from both the auto-update directory AND the regular filemaker/Extensions directory. If there is a copy of the plugin in there it will cause auto-update to fail.

We have scripts you can use to download plugins directly from us at fmp7://autoupdate.360works.com/AutoUpdate360Works

I can quit filemaker and remove the old extension and have it auto-update install properly after that just fine, but this is not exactly an desirable/acceptable solution for well over 80 remote location client installs.

* These installs have not had the file installed in the filemaker program directory, these are all auto-update installed into the users directory.

* At least 80% of the auto updates were on a previous version and auto-updated to 2.75 successfully. The remainder were auto-update initially installed with 2.75. None of them will auto-update out of 2.75 except for the OSX machines. None of these auto-updates was on a client older than filemaker9.

* This is occurring on XP/2003 on both user and Administrator login.

* This is occurring on Vista & 7 with UAC both on and off.

* As mentioned, this is not occurring with other plugins, just the supercontainer companion one.

* I am already utilizing 360works autoupdate based scripts, this is how they got installed in the first place. (though they are pulling the updated files from my server.)

While filemaker is open, the supercontainer companion plugin cannot be moved or modified. As far as I can tell, the filemaker auto update downloads the new file, then attempts to move the old file, and put the new file in it's place. It's breaking on the move because supercontainer companion is somehow locked in use.

I'm have already pretty much determined that I will have to provide a procedure to manually remove these files while not in filemaker in order to allow updates to actually install. As this is for a number of people at a variety of companies, I would like to understand how this has occurred and know that it's unlikely to happen again before initiating a process like this.

Ok, so that failure ate my details.

Let me simplify the problem here:

Filemaker closed: supercontainer companion plugin can be moved or deleted

Filemaker open (even without any databases open): supercontainer companion plugin cannot be moved or deleted

Filemaker open: Properly working plugin cannot be deleted, but it CAN be moved.

FMSAUC:

*) Downloads the new file to a '.fmx.new' in the users Extensions folder

*) Moves the existing .fmx file to the saved folder <--- this is the part that is breaking currently

*) Moves the .fmx.new to .fmx

The problem that I'm encountering is that something is getting the supercontainer companion plugin (and more, see below) into a mode where it's locked in use and cannot be moved. This is not a permissions error (permissions are total control for the running-as user), and it is not a read-only error (they are not marked read-only.)

Plugins with the issue:

Supercontainer Companion (2.75, 2.76, 2.77, 2.78)

360works Webassistant (1.522)

360works Email (1.947)

360works Scribe (1.02)

360works ScriptMaster (4.02)

Plugins without the issue:

Supercontainer Companion (1.857)

360works FTPeek (1.531, 1.533)

Troi File (5.0.1)

I am aware that this may be related to other aspects of the environment or software updates, but it's occurring on a wide variety of installs, and given the change between old version (1.857 was the only older version I located on your site) and other products (FTPeek), I'm looking for some more help in finding a way to avoid this happening again, before I attempt to roll out a solution that requires clients to run something out of filemaker.

If there is an online library of older versions available, I would be quite happy to run through them to find out where the various plugins start having this problem, perhaps this can help identify the problem point.

---

Install scenarios in which this problem is occuring (at least the supercontainer companion plugin.)

I do not have details on the installed java revision, is there any way to query this information within filemaker?

For machines I have access to, java is at either v6 update 23, update 21, or update 18

XP, 9.0v3

XP, 11.0v1

XP, 11.0v2

Vista, 11.0v2

Vista, adv11.0v2

win7, 11.0v1

Have you tried downloading the plugins from us, rather than from your own server? Give me a call or message me on AIM or skype and we can do screen sharing some time.

I am getting frustrated with these responses, as I feel that they do not reflect an understanding of the problem.

Yes, I have tried from your server.

Yes, it doesn't matter, the point of acquisition of the updated file is not part of the problem (your server or mine, the download of the new version is always successful) -- it is the state of the currently installed plug-in that is breaking the process.

This addon (supercontainer companion), and other 360works addons, have become incapable of being moved (which is required by the FMSAUC process), even with no database having been opened, therefore are not capable of being updated through this process. This is not limited to one installation environment. I depend upon FMSAUC for just short of 100 clients amongst different sites, and this problem is a blocking issue severe enough that I will have to get someone at those client's sites to run a process on the machines with filemaker closed in order to clear this situation. I am resigned to this requirement. However, I am not willing to do this more than once, it is an unacceptable restriction. As even the most recently updated plugin has shown this problem, I am effectively blocked from committing to further updates.

Once more, with increased emphasis, the problem:

FMSAUC:

*) Downloads the new file to a '.fmx.new' in the users Extensions folder

*) Moves the existing .fmx file to the saved folder <--- this is the part that is breaking currently

*) Moves the .fmx.new to .fmx

If you prefer to move to an AIM discussion in order to more rapidly process Q&A, I am willing to do that, are there any preferable days or times?

You mentioned that you used our script, but from your own autoupdate file on your own server, rather than using the one directly from autoupdate.360works.com, why i suggested that you try getting the file directly from our server. We have many other users which are able to download from the autoupdate.360works.com file and scripts which we provide, and so if you were unable to download from our server as well it would help determine where the problem is - if it was with the file you were downloading or the machine you are downloading to.

The files lock when FileMaker loads because plugins load when the application is launched, not when a database is opened. What you are seeing is the expected behavior, though autoupdate should still work. Filemaker is the one locking the plugin files, and should have the ability to access and move them if it needs to.

Call or Message me some time and we can do screen sharing. Our office is closed today due to a snowstorm in Atlanta and so you won't be able to reach me by phone, but you can contact me on AIM or Skype at any time. My information is below.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for failing to get back to you in a timely fashion. It was not done as an intentional expression, this month has just kept getting busier and I shelved this issue to finish some priority work.

I am quite happy to say that the 24 jan 2011 updates for fixing auto update have solved this issue for me, thank you so very much.

This topic is 4831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.