Filemaker Pro - new server

This topic is 4772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi I work on Filemaker Pro databases at work - sorry not sure which version but they are quite old now. We have just had a new server and have been told that we cannot work on our old databases as they aren't compatible with the server. We now have the new server but we've found out we can still access our databases and can still do searches on them etc. However, the databases on each computer aren't linked up as when someone edits their copy the rest of the copies aren't updated. Can someone tell me if we can link them up? They still work fine apart from they aren't linked up. Hope all this makes sense. Thank you.

As long as they are on the same network, ie, lan, then you can just open the original file on one of the computers then go into the security setting for the database and set it to share. Now when you go to another computer on the network, you can hit open/remote and then go to local files and it should come up.

Now, this sometimes goes easy depending on how good your routers are... if your filemaker version is somewhere around 7... etc... It can also be a pain the back side if your pcs are old, versions are obsolete and network is slow.

What kind of server do you have?

• Newbies

Hi thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what kind of server it is. I'm not that knowledgeable I'm afraid. Is there a way I can find this out? When you said this can be a pain - if I try to connect the databases to each other can I harm anything if it doesn't work?

Regards

This topic is 4772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.