Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Data access through a portal from end to end of a relationship

hispania

This topic is 4794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am trying to acess data from a table at one end of the relationship through a portal to a table in the other end of the relationship and I don't know how to do it.

TABLES

Action table:

__kpActionID

Action

Staff table:

__pkStaffID

DepartmentStaff

JobTitleStaff

NameFullList

Appraisal joint table:

__pkAppraisalID

_fkActionID

_fkManualID

_fkStaffID

JobTitleStaff

DepartmentStaff

Manual table:

__kpManualID

_kfStaffID

Procedure table:

__pkProcedureID

_fkManualID

Relationships

relationships.jpg

In the Manual table layout I have a tab named Appraisal where I can put the Full Name as well as Job Title and the Department of the Staff that acted as: Originator, Reviewer (Reviewed by) and Approver (Approved by) of the document named Manual.

No problem here, using a portal I can choose who was the originator, the reviewers and the approvers of the Manual.

With the established relationship even the same person can be reviewer and approver. Here is a picture:

manual_appraisal.jpg

The problem surfaces when I am trying to do the same from a portal on the Procedures table.

My goal is to use the established relationship between:

the Staff and Action tables with the Manual table through the Appraisal joint table;

and

the relationship between the Manual and the Procedure tables.

To choose the names, job titles and departments of the staff acting as originator, reviewer and approver.

I wrongly thought that since the table relationships are rightly established, I could use a portal on the Procedure table layout to get data from the Staff table. But as soon as I set up the portal in the Procedure table layout to do it, I get a snapshot of what currently is on the portal on the Manual layout.

What is the right way to derive data from one end of a relationship (Staff table) into the opposite end (Procedures table)?

This topic is 4794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.