FileMaker Database Tuneing

This topic is 4778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear friends,

I have the huge amount of data in my database, and because of this reason, it is responding very slowly. I want to know, is there any option for Database performance tunning in FileMaker, like Oracle. If yes, Please suggest me the right steps for it, I am in hurry, please do this as soon as possible. One can also contact me on, [email protected].

• Newbies

One of the better ways, if searching is what's lagging you mostly, is to see what fields are being searched on the most and make sure they are indexed. You have several options there but I find that mandating index (all) on heavily searched fields decreases search times but will cause more memory use.

One of the better ways, if searching is what's lagging you mostly, is to see what fields are being searched on the most and make sure they are indexed. You have several options there but I find that mandating index (all) on heavily searched fields decreases search times but will cause more memory use.

By default, all stored fields in FMP are set to create an index if they are used in a search (or in a relationship) so little thought is required about indexing.

In general, a large amount of data is not a reason by itself for poor database performance. More likely causes are sub-optimal data structure, inefficient processes, or graphics-laden interfaces.

• Newbies

you are correct Vaughn, though I specifically stated "make sure" just due to the fact that I have gone into a client's system and seen where the previous developer had turned indexing off on fields that were used, most likely to save system resources so I couldn't fault them for that. But, in addition to that, whenever you bring in a table from an ESS source or what have you, FM will not automatically index the fields of the new table.

Also, I've found that storing files on drives that have "power saving" features and compression turned on will slow interaction down.

This topic is 4778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.