Creating New XLS Sheets in Scribe

This topic is 4754 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was wondering - is it possible to create empty additional sheets in an xslx document, using Scribe? The documentation says that you can create new cells, but seems to imply that you can't create new sheets - but it's not mentioned explicitly. Also, if it's xml, if I knew how many sheets I needed to start with, could I create an empty xlsx sheet, and then have scribe populate it?

It is not possible to create new cells or sheets in scribe. Scribe is able to write to a cell, so you can make a template file that has your formatting and sheets ahead of time and then write to the cells in your template file.

Whilst I'm sure you know your own product, ;-) your documentation says otherwise:

Excel Support

To write values to an excel sheet, pass the coordinates of a single cell, e.g. "A5" as the first parameter.

To specify a sheet other than the first sheet, include the sheet name followed by an exclamation point, e.g. "Sheet 2!BB42".

Writing a value to a non-exisent sheet will generate an error. If you specify a non-existent cell or row, it will be created.

So, can you create cells or not? Or are the docs a bit wonky? Or have I (very likely) misunderstood them ? Just wondering.

Ah, I see the confustion. I think that just means a cell or row that isn't being used right now, since excel doesn't really have a fixed number of cells or rows in a document (at least not from the user's perspective). You don't have to click a "new row" button like you do in filemaker. If you've got 10 rows and you want to fill in data in row 11 you just need to specify a cell in row 11 and it will work.

This topic is 4754 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.