records getting lost?

This topic is 4740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi!

i am running FMS on SBS_2008 and have XP, Win7 and MacOS_10.6.7 clients attaching to it. Every now and then it seems to happen, that records, generated on a client, do not get handed over to the Server, or at least, they do not gest stored. this is not only dangerous, as information might get lost, but it undermines the trust-level in the it. i have no clue of where to start looking, so if anybody could come up with an idea of where to start looking, this would be highly appreciated!

thx a lot,

philipp

Which version of FMS and FM are in use? Also check whether your version of FMS is certified for SBS 2008.

Records going missing is often caused by multiple copies of the database on the network, so I'd start by absolutely and definitively removing the possibility of this occurring. Do this by changing the production copy of the database so it is easily identifiable -- I put a colored background or text on the main screen in a prominent position (explain that it's temporary if people object). Then get people to contact you ASAP if they do NOT see the changes.

After that it could be file corruption or software incompatibility, or even hardware failure.

Hi!

i am running FMS on SBS_2008 and have XP, Win7 and MacOS_10.6.7 clients attaching to it. Every now and then it seems to happen, that records, generated on a client, do not get handed over to the Server, or at least, they do not gest stored. this is not only dangerous, as information might get lost, but it undermines the trust-level in the it. i have no clue of where to start looking, so if anybody could come up with an idea of where to start looking, this would be highly appreciated!

thx a lot,

philipp

First, run FileMaker Server on an approved OS, something you are not currently doing. Second, is it possible users are entering records in "Find" mode? Third, are you sure the records aren't there or is it that you just can't find them? That would indicate possible index corruption.

When you run a backup, do you verify its integrity? What do the logs report?

Steven

• Newbies

THX for your Help!

I will try to answer your questions as concise as possible:

- I am running FMS 10.0.2.206

- I only have one copy of this database online and nobody else is sharing

- i will look into file corruption and try a "repair"

- people can not enter these records in find mode, as they are inputting in a portal row and this does not create a new record. therefore they would have noticed immediately.

- Yes my Backups are verified!

Question:

- Whats wrong with my OS? Microsoft Server 2008 should not be a Problem, or is it!?

- How do i access the "index corruption" ssue possibility?

THX for your time and help!

Philipp

• Newbies

Is it possible the client is loosing network communication before the data is flushed to the server.

Are they closing their laptop and walking out the door before the data is saved?

Are they saving cached contents during idle time or every 10 - 15 - 30 min?

Just a thought.

- Yes my Backups are verified!

Question:

- Whats wrong with my OS? Microsoft Server 2008 should not be a Problem, or is it!?

- How do i access the "index corruption" ssue possibility?

Very welcome. We are happy to try to help you.

You're not running the correct version of Server 2008. FileMAker Server is certified for the Standard version, not the SBS version. SBS has caused problems in the past.

Close all files, stop the FMS services. Take a copy of the file in question--a copy of it---and have FileMaker Pro run a consistency check on it. Read the logs to see what they might say about index issues.

Steven

This topic is 4740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.