Print 5,000 records to PDF?

John May

This topic is 8383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I work for a small school district and I have developed a solution using FM5 and Lasso which allows elementary teachers to input student report cards on the web. The output (paper) is strictly from FM. This solution is in testing right now, and will go into production next fall. Printing is my big concern. I know I will do a batch print at report card time, but what about one-off printing? (I have no plans to allow anyone access to the FM databases) My best idea is to run a second print job to write to PDF files rather than a printer, and then distribute the appropriate records to each school for storage and retreival, as necessary.

The question is, will it be possible to index the output using a field or two fields from the DB? I would like to identify the school (by number or code) and the student ID number as part of the file name. I haven't researched this too much yet (Is this a scripting possibility???), but I want to find out if this sounds like a reasonable approach. I have not used the necessary Adobe products before, so I am afraid I am a bit ignorant of the possibilities and/or requirements...

There would be about 5,000 records produced three times each year.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 8383 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.