Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP7 -> FMP11 Migration

This topic is 4716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi folks.

I have a client whose solution was written quite the while back. It has 6 files, or "databases". The new way of doing things is consolidation of all tables and layouts into a single "database".

Is it a big job to import tables, layouts and scripts into a single "database" and update the scripting and functionality? Yes I know it depends on what's in the originals, but I want to get some idea what this could mean for work. Is it worth it? The only thing I see available is the "global" access of variables. It's a shame they can't be passed amongst databases. Or have a $$$myVar.

Love to hear from anybody that knows, or has done this before.

Cheers!

Generally yes, it's a big job. (For any given value of big.)

Strictly speaking there is no need to "convert" or "migrate" files from FMP 7 to FMP 11 since the file format is the same. They just open right up. There was a behaviour change in FMP 9 with regard to relationships (how they handle empty keys in multi-predicate relationships IIRC) and that might need checking.

The decision whether to amalgamate the separate files depends IMHO solely on whether the work will return an investment to the client. What savings will a converting to a single database file yield? Most probably the answer will be "none" in which case there is no value to the client to amalgamate the files.

HOWEVER there are lot of new features in FMP 11, and there may be ROI on adding these new features. It may make economic sense to do some refactoring (including amalgamate some files) while adding the new features.

This topic is 4716 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.