Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM11 unable to quit/reconnect after ODBC error

This topic is 4720 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

For some reason I have trouble creating related records in a multi-table mySql from my office machine.

It worked just fine from home (Windows XP professional), and I brought a copy of this latest fp7-file with me to work today.

But here, something gets wrong (with the same solution!!), and even worse:

I get an error message, and cannot do anything with FM, not even close the program. It has to be forced shut down.

Here is the error message:

ERROR: ODBC communication/link error.

Please check your network connection and/or database server.

My problems are the same as listed in this error report from 2009

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/c2984cfd1b

FileMaker Product(s) involved: FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v2, MYSQL 5.1.34, MYSQL ODBC 5.1/3.51 driver. Operating System(s) involved: Windows Vista Home Premium Detailed description of the issue: Whenever there is there is any kind of odbc error, FileMaker is unable to reconnect or quit and have to force quit (via Windows task manager). ERROR: ODBC communication/link error. Please check your network connection and/or database server. Exact steps to reproduce the issue: Create a odbc connection to mysql databaseAdd this odbc connection in external data sourceAdd an mysql table in relationshipCreate a layout from mysql tableAdd/edit any record (don’t commit)Stop mysql serviceNow Commit recordYou will get the above errorRestart mysql serviceRefresh Window (FileMaker)But FM won’t be able to reconnect or it won’t let you quit The above error will be displayed for every action from then onForce quit is the only option to get rid of it and restart FM Expected Result: FM should be able to give a message to reconnect or to quit and not get lost in a loop. A script step/Menu option to reconnect would be even better. Atleast the ability to quit FM normally should be there. Actual Result: FM keeps throwing the below error message for almost any action once there is an odbc connection error. Force quit FM via windows task manager and restart FM to get rid of it. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared: ODBC communication/link error. Please check your network connection and/or database server. Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue: Have tried creating a commit script with error capturing but same result Any workarounds that you have found: None (waiting to get one)

(I also have Windows Vista Home Premium at work, but FM 11 Advanced and a somewhat newer MySql-database. I am not sure about which driver).

At home, where everything worked fine, I have Windows XP professional.

Anyone knows what might be wrong?

This topic is 4720 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.