Server Maintenance This Week. ×

just can't connect...

This topic is 4706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all,

everyone has their first question; here's mine !!!

I have a work in progress I just started in 11 Pro. I want to get the layouts to work with FM Go, so have started to play with the publishing features. I've added IWP access to the Extended privs for Admin and am trying to connect FM Go over my home wireless network.

IWP will not start up; I get the error that IWP cannot be started. If I use the FM network I get no error on the host, but the Go client cannot see any published files (does see the host name). Entering the file name (case sensitive with extension) returns an error "The file cannot be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host".

My Mac's web sharing is off, but when on, my iPad can see my hosted sites.

I am confused.

Any help much appreciated - thanks in advance.

Ok. Let's walk you through the process.

First, FMGo doesn't use IWP. It is just like FM Pro but without editing ability. IWP is mostly used with Filemaker server and it let's filemaker generate web pages for that database. If you are new to filemaker, I would stay away from this until you get better at security since, if you do it wrong, can open your system up to the public.

Instead, you want to check the box [fmapp] priv. set and put a user group to it. Now in file, you will see a "sharing" under "manage." Put you mouse on it and a submenu will open. Click on "Filemaker network..."

Now it should show all the files opened on your local machine. You can check the radio button on the right to allow everyone or just certain priv. set users.

Now open FM Go on your iPod and go to file browser. The 3rd menu down says Local Network Hosts, click on that. Now your computer name should show up. Click on that and the file should show up.

Try that first and see what you come up with.

• Newbies

Ok. Let's walk you through the process.

Instead, you want to check the box [fmapp] priv. set and put a user group to it. done

Now in file, you will see a "sharing" under "manage." No sharing under manage, but a separate sharing menu with 'Filemaker network' option

Put you mouse on it and a submenu will open. Click on "Filemaker network..."

Now it should show all the files opened on your local machine. You can check the radio button on the right to allow everyone or just certain priv. set users. access given to all

Now open FM Go on your iPod and go to file browser. The 3rd menu down says Local Network Hosts, click on that.I can't find this menu item, but do have a dialogue titled Local Network Hosts which I bring up with the search database icon on the right hand pane.

Now your computer name should show up. Click on that and the file should show up.Same result I am afraid; I see the computer name, but after selecting it and 'waiting for response' I am invited to type file names as the browse facility returns no list of files.

Try that first and see what you come up with.

I will put a trial version of FMPro 11 on another Mac at the office and test that I can see and access my files first. Once I have established that the host side is functioning correctly, I can focus on the iPad and FM Go.

Thanks for your assistance.

FileMakerNetworkDialogue.jpg

• Newbies

Himitsu, thank you for continuing to assist...

I have checked the permissions; read write of all users. I have tested hosting the two files on a second Mac with a trial FMPro installation - I get the same result in FM Go. The host name is visible, but no file names are. I will post to the FMPro forum and see where I get to there first.

My suspicion is that once two Mac can see each other, the iPad will too.

Cheers.

This topic is 4706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.