AD Authentication Issue with Imported FM5 File

This topic is 4650 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a Filemaker 10 Server running on a Windows 2003 Server with Filemaker 11 clients running on Windows XP. I have two databases created by the same group many years ago that will not allow NT authentication for groups with [Data Entry Only] access. The databases appear as available to the users from the LDAP hosts menu, but they are propmted for password when attempting to open the database. Using the correct password yields a "the account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file" error. However, if I change group security to [Full Access] this does not happen. I also have about ten other imported fm5 databases created by different departments where this is not an issue, even with the same user accounts and groups.

I have a Filemaker 10 Server running on a Windows 2003 Server with Filemaker 11 clients running on Windows XP. I have two databases created by the same group many years ago that will not allow NT authentication for groups with [Data Entry Only] access. The databases appear as available to the users from the LDAP hosts menu, but they are propmted for password when attempting to open the database. Using the correct password yields a "the account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file" error. However, if I change group security to [Full Access] this does not happen. I also have about ten other imported fm5 databases created by different departments where this is not an issue, even with the same user accounts and groups.

Oh, my. First, there isn't such a thing as the LDAP Host Menu for External Server Authentication. External Authentication has nothing whatsoever to do with LDAP. THe LDAP panel in FMS Console is to register the server on a directory. Something like a "yellow pages" for FMS.

Check the Extended Privileges for the privilege Set for the Group assigned Data Entry. Be sure that the fmapp privilege bit is checked. That's what allows the Group to connect to hosted file husing FIleMaker Pro. Group Name in file must exactly match the Group Name in Active Directory.

I think we can get you there, but it will take several steps. You might want to read the Tech Brief on External Server Authentication from the FMI web site. Please overlook the idiosyncrasies of one of the authors.

Steven

• Newbies

Thanks, the fmapp privilege was the issue. All of the other imported databases had been enabled for sharing with Filemaker 5.5 prior to import into Server 10, so I didn't actually have to set this on the otherspost-104969-0-27364000-1309891323_thumb..

Thanks, the fmapp privilege was the issue. All of the other imported databases had been enabled for sharing with Filemaker 5.5 prior to import into Server 10, so I didn't actually have to set this on the otherspost-104969-0-27364000-1309891323_thumb..

OK, glad you got it working. FWIW, however, these files are not imported. They are converted from the older version. That is a significant distinction.

There can be any number of migration and conversion issues. There is a White Paper from FMI that addresses some of these.

Steven

This topic is 4650 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.