FM 5.5 Server questions...

This topic is 4617 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok, heres the drum:

I bought a series of FM Pro files for managing our business back in 1995, running on Mac OS. Classic at first, version 3.0. At first, we ran the files with FM Pro 3.0 running Mac OS9. Worked great. As the business grew after several years, we decided to add more terminals and run it from a server. So we installed FM Server 3.0, and then bought the upgrade FM 5.5 Server to upgrade it to the newest version. So at that time, (2004) we were running FM 5.5 Server and several FM 5.5 or FM 6.0 workstations.

Sold that business to start over again. Kept the same software files, and ran them on FM 5.5 running Mac OS X. After several years, we added one terminal, and ran the files remotely without using FM Server.

So, now, we are adding more workstations. I would like to install the FM 5.5 Server app and run things from that, but it is an upgrade package, as we had FM 3.0. I have one computer capable of running Mac Classic OS.

My question is, How do I get FM 5.5 Server up and running? On the install disc, you can install either OS 9 or OS X. I tried the OS 9 install, and it works fine. Inside the FM Server folder, there is the application FM Pro Server. Remember I have the full version of FM 3.0 Server. But when I click the install Mac OS X icon, it goes thru the motions, creates a folder, etc, but I don't see a FM 5.5 Server application, just some other application...forgot the name of it, like a preferences application.

FMS 5.5 will not run on current Macintosh computers. It might run under Windows. FMP 6 is not fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and may be less compatible with 10.7.

FMS 5.5 and FMP 6 reached their end of life some years ago.

If the solution is important then consider converting it to the current version of FMP. The conversion from FMP 6 to FMP 7+ is far more complex than going from FMP 4 to FMP 6. Many new features were added and frequently, solutions require significant re-writes to take advantage of the new architecture.

This topic is 4617 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.