Is it safe to run FM client on the Server that runs FM server?

CandoFM

This topic is 4624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a script I run on my computer (Mac) to work on some hosted files that I access via VPN. (VPN=Virtual Private Network software that encrypts data across internet between my computer and server.) The script touches many records, and takes a long time to run because of VPN. (I don't want to rewrite the script as a server script.)

I am able to use Remote Desktop Connection to handle the server (Windows OS). One idea I had, was to run the script using a FM client on the server that runs FM Server. My theory, is that the script should run faster locally versus going across VPN. In general, is it safe to run FM client (v11 advanced) on the server that runs FM server (v11)?

Yes, it's safe, as long as you're sure you still use Open Remote to open the files, and not try to open them directly from the hosted database folder. (FileMaker wouldn't let you do that anyway, as a safety precaution.) Also, opening hosted databases from a client on the same computer as the server is the safe, preferred way to make changes in Manage Database in live, hosted files, since there is no potential for network turbulence, etc.

In general, is it safe to run FM client (v11 advanced) on the server that runs FM server (v11)?

It's neither safe nor desirable. However any number of people have convinced themselves that it is OK to do this. Sooner or sooner, predictable problems start happening. For example, see this current thread.

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/80324-filemaker-server-and-filemaker-pro-on-same-server-problem/

Steven

This topic is 4624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.