Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Printing to a dot matrix printer

bobkozubal

This topic is 8500 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok, I've got a problem that I've been pulling my hair out over for a couple of days now. I've got a really simple Filemaker 5 database that my company uses to print packing lists. I recently replaced the PC that is used for this task (Went from a 75MHz Pentium running Win 95 to a 200 MHz Pentium Pro running Win 98). Now whenever I print, my type prints 3 times the size that is specified (should be 12pt, but prints closer to 36pt). I'm using the same printer (Lexmark 2380 Plus connected locally), the same version of Filemaker, & the same database (copied it from the old machine). I've checked everything I can think of: document settings, printer settings, etc., but nothing seems to work. I printed a test page from MS Word & it printed properly, so I'm assuming that the problem is with Filemaker. Anybody have any clues as to what my problem may be?

Thanks!

Does the new computer have the same fonts as the old one? You may have to go into layout mode and re-select the fonts and sizes for the fields being printed.

Also make sure that you have de-selected the "Make font size proportional to processor speed" option in document preferences. smile.gif

• Newbies

Bob,

Thanks for your input. I am using the same fonts. I even tried re-assigning the fonts to each field (changed them to another font and then changed them back).

As far as the "Make font size proportional to processor speed" option, I can't find that in my version of FileMaker (I'm using 5.0 for Windows). I did find document preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Document), but that wasn't one of the options. Am I not looking in the correct location?

quote:

Originally posted by BobWeaver:

Does the new computer have the same fonts as the old one? You may have to go into layout mode and re-select the fonts and sizes for the fields being printed.

Also make sure that you have de-selected the "Make font size proportional to processor speed" option in document preferences.
smile.gif

• Newbies

LOL! I thought that was kinda weird, but with Windows, you never know... I didn't spend much time looking, but I did look.

My only reason for initially ruling out the printer driver was that I could print OK from Word. I figured that It was somehow related to FileMaker.

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by BobWeaver:

Oh dear! I was just kidding about the "font size proportional to processor speed" thing. I hope you didn't waste too much time on that. I appologize, and I'll watch my advice from now on.

If your fonts are all OK, then I agree with John that the printer driver may be the culprit. Also make sure that you have the latest update to Filemaker. See the link below for the latest update.

Oh dear! I was just kidding about the "font size proportional to processor speed" thing. I hope you didn't waste too much time on that. I appologize, and I'll watch my advice from now on.

If your fonts are all OK, then I agree with John that the printer driver may be the culprit. Also make sure that you have the latest update to Filemaker. See the link below for the latest update.

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters.html

This topic is 8500 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.