PC suggestion for new Server install

This topic is 4555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So the two-year experiment with FMP running on five stations has been a success, and the boss has authorized me to buy licenses for all thirteen workplace terminals. I'm looking at the bundle for ten seats of FMP and one install of FM Server. (Our little network will not be very busy for, say, eighteen months, as I start writing, then integrating, databases to handle all the variables that are currently tracked on slips of paper.)

We don't have a server - just networked PCs. It's clear to me that for fifteen FMP clients to see databases, I need to have Server installed on a standalone terminal.

My question:

Will I have a problem if I buy a $400 machine like this one:

http://bit.ly/udkQo3

running Windows 7 Professional, and leave it in the corner, not connected to the Internet, running no programs except FM Server, and just administer it (when necessary) via Windows Remote Desktop?

2 GB RAM is too little. Try 4 GB instead. But make sure that the drive is high quality or it will cause problems. Contact your FMI Sales Reps for license quotation. Also, i think you'd do better with Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition or Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition 32 bit. But people do use Windows 7.

Steven

This topic is 4555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.