Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Under the Hood... for ESS?

This topic is 4547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In the "Under the Hood" session at Devcon this year, we learned some great info on exactly what is happening behind the scenes as your FM clients navigate through the layouts & records you've prepared for them. It was a very useful session EXCEPT that up front they said that almost none of this applies if you are using ESS. It only pertained to the payloads moving between server and client for native FM tables.

Does anybody know where you can learn some in-depth specifics about the speed/performance of displaying or manipulating ESS tables?

I'm using ESS extensively in one of our applications. I know the white papers caution using FM as a front-end, but for this particular application it's allowing me to do things I could have never accomplished in MSSQL alone. It just seems like FileMaker folks skim over ESS when it's such an incredibly powerful feature of the product.

I haven't had any major performance issues (that weren't my own fault!) but I'm sure they are plenty of hidden insights that would fine tune my application’s performance – especially if I'm looking to deploy over a WAN in the not too distant future. Any of my current mis-steps would surely be amplified over a slower WAN.

Thanks in Advance,

Andy Haenszel

This topic is 4547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.