java applet hang

This topic is 4444 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just ran into an error with SuperContainer today. The video say's/shows it best: http://www.screencas.../t/RRJDCLY7NURh

The frame rate of the video was pretty low, so it didn't really show how the dialog window was flashing light/dark (active/inactive) repeatedly - you could see the FileMaker application window flashing though.

When this happened, I got this error in the Java Console:

WARNING: Native file dialog disabled, as it does not support selecting both files and directories

Regarding the log file I attached to my last reply... I believe it is this known bug: http://forums.filema...osts/af993cfbc4

I've been getting these a lot lately and was about to report that error too - luckily I found it on the known bug list: http://forums.filema...osts/ad61a7e781

The main issue from my initial post is still unresolved though.

• 3 months later...

Hey Dan,

Have you been able to resolve the initial issue with the jittering of SuperContainer while running in Applet mode? I have been unable to reproduce this locally. Do you have any additional information you could provide on your environment to help reproduce this issue on Windows?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

<p>I just re-produced this issue on a 2nd Windows Vista computer. Both computers have the latest Windows and Java updates. Using FileMaker Advanced 11v3.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I hadn&#39;t noticed this before, but this time the error only occurred the first time I opened the select file dialog for a new record. So, to reproduce exactly as I have right now...</p>

<ol>

<li>launch SuperContainerServer.jar</li>

<li>open SuperContainer Example.fp7 (without Companion plug-in installed)</li>

<li>click &quot;Style Modifiers&quot; button</li>

<li>New Record</li>

<li>Click &quot;Upload File&quot; button in the web viewer, and immediately after clicking the button, press any letter key.

<ol>

<li>if this doesn&#39;t work the first time, create a new record and try again</li>

</ol>

</li>

</ol>

edit: sorry for the html in there: that's been happening to me lately, only I'm too lazy to remove it this time.

Edited by dansmith65

• Newbies

We have had reports of exactly the same thing from some of our clients and have not been able to get to the bottom of it. Everything was working fine until about a week or so ago and there have not been any changes on the server end so it appears to be something at the client end.

We've tried using different servers and platforms... Mac OSX Server as standalone and Win 2008 Server as Tomcat install. Both running SuperContainer 2.852.

Mac clients can connect ok in all cases (although drag and drop uploading is not working at the moment but could be an unrelated issue). Windows clients are experiencing the flashing described whenever they try to upload a document and then usually FileMaker crashes.

I'll try to get more details tomorrow and post additional information.

Regards

Andrew

--

Andrew McCallum

Niche IT Pty Ltd

Sydney, Australia

• Newbies

Some additional information...

One client having the problem had the Super Container Companion Plugin installed but it was v2.77. However, updating this to the 2.852 version did not fix the problem.

We found that she could drag and drop files onto the SuperContainer web viewer and the files uploaded as expected but it is when the choose file... button is clicked on that the flashing occurs. Although this was reported as an intermittent problem, we could reproduce it every time we tried today.

The specs on the OS and related applications are...

Windows 7 Professional SP1

FileMaker Pro 11.0 v3

SuperContainerPlugin 2.852

Java Standard Edition v6 update 29 build 1.6.0_29-v11

Hope that helps track it down.

Regards

Andrew

--

Andrew McCallum

Niche IT Pty Ltd

Sydney, Australia

Thanks a lot for all the detailed information... I have been able to reproduce this locally on Windows Vista. We are in the process of figuring out how to resolve this...

Currently there is no ETA on when a fix will be made available.

As a temporary workaround, you can apply the "noapplet" style to your Web Viewers to force it to ignore using the Java applet. This should enable you to upload files without causing any flickering/hanging of the FileMaker application.

I apologize for the inconvenience,

This topic is 4444 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.