Dedictaed IP address or private name server

This topic is 4487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All,

I just purchased FM Server 11 and while installing / deploying wondered if it would make sense to get a private name server from my ISP as I don't want people to type in a http://192.168.... number to get to my server.

Since I'm new to the FMS surrounding is was wondering if this is a common procedure or if I can even publish my database on my website california-sunriders.com?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy

You can certainly provide links for web publishing from your databases on your web site.

As for the name server, that can also be done. In the Favorites section of Open Remote the user would put the resolved name that links to the IP address of your files. If the database server is accessible from the Internet, then the connection will happen.

Steven

Thanks Steven,

In the meantime I talked to another developer in my area and we talked about IWP vss CWP due to lack of time with my project. I found out that for IWP I need FM Server Advanced. I find it strange that I get the IWP feature wit the regular FM Pro software but have to pay a huge amount of $3000 for server advanced to be able to IWP. This doesn't make sense to me, even an upgrade to FMS Advanced would be $1800. I'm kind of stuck now with the project I have to finish by end of February.

Is there really no way to IWP with FMS?

Andy

You do need FileMaker Server Advanced to support IWP. You may want to alternately consider a hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide the FileMaker Server Advanced licenses for our shared accounts, server hardware, monitoring, backups, etc. Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com. Thanks!

- John

Thanks Steven,

In the meantime I talked to another developer in my area and we talked about IWP vss CWP due to lack of time with my project. I found out that for IWP I need FM Server Advanced. I find it strange that I get the IWP feature wit the regular FM Pro software but have to pay a huge amount of $3000 for server advanced to be able to IWP. This doesn't make sense to me, even an upgrade to FMS Advanced would be $1800. I'm kind of stuck now with the project I have to finish by end of February.

Is there really no way to IWP with FMS?

Andy

IWP requires Server Advanced. It's been that way since Server 7.

Steven

This topic is 4487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.