Server Maintenance This Week. ×

iPad and Desktop FileMaker Pro database sync

Anax

This topic is 4473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello All,

Ok here is my problem, My boss wants from me to make a program for some invoices stuff that i dont undestand but it's ok. The problem is that she needs to run in iPads and Desktop or Laptop. From my search i came up with "FileMaker Pro Invoice Starter Solution" and she seems quite satisfied and i thought ok. But then she asked one more thing, to make a button that when the iPad and the Desktop connecting to update the new records from the iPad to the Desktop. To me that seems that she needs one way (iPad->Desktop) database sync. After hours looking FileMaker Pro and trying to undestand how can i work with this i find that there is a way to do this onButtonClick-> script trigger. But because i dont have any experience with this program i am thinking of ways like open socket, ports, make checks for open db with available drivers and so on. So I think that this is not going to work because FM pro dont works that way. I need 2 things if someone has the intention and the kindness to help me out.

1) Guide me in some way how can i do that or show me i way, program, tool, programming logic that exists and i dont know.

2) Suggest me some books to read ( of course i can search and find many books but i prefere someone's who knows to suggest me some because there are well-written books and not. )

Can your database be hosted, and allow the iPad to connect to it over a LAN/WAN network? Usually, the place when this option is not available is if people need to access the database in the field, and won't have wifi or cell connection. Otherwise, this option could work for you.

Alternatively, you can check out this product: http://www.seedcode.com/cp-app/ste_cat/gozync

• Newbies

Hello dansmith65,

The all process is this, One manager of the company go in shops that buy products from us with an iPad, fill some new invoices, come back connect with wifi and update the new invoices in the computer that has the same fm pro invoices starter sol. Also i want to thank you for your link but i have a question, how can i configure this gozync, i mean i have no idea of apple products(ipad iMac etc). Sorry if i am being silly with my ignorance but i am a c/c++ guy who never even touch an iPad.

The all process is this, One manager of the company go in shops that buy products from us with an iPad, fill some new invoices, come back connect with wifi and update the new invoices in the computer that has the same fm pro invoices starter sol.

If the manager can connect to the internet from the iPad while they are "in shops", then you may be able to use the hosted solution.

how can i configure this gozync, i mean i have no idea of apple products(ipad iMac etc). Sorry if i am being silly with my ignorance but i am a c/c++ guy who never even touch an iPad.

Read the manual; seriously, i'm not trying to be smart or sarcastic or anything. What you are asking to have done will take either an investment in time to learn FileMaker, or hiring someone that has already made that investment.

This topic is 4473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.