Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Viewing FM text characters in MySQL

This topic is 4370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am intending to transfer data from my FP database to MySQL to be picked up by a third party, but I still need to be able to view it via FP12 where I will use FP12 to create and make amendments to the data. Basically, I guess, it will be a data separation exercise using FP as a UI.

I need to include 'non-text' characters such as tabs, bullet points, etc. in my 'Description' field.

I can create them in FP and import the data into the MySQL database as a TAB file, but when viewing the MySQL data within FP - as a related field from the external data soure [MySQL] - I get, presumably, MySQL's version of the text data which is shown with what I think are symbols for the carriage returns (a kind of 'tadpole with an arrow') and the soft tabs are displayed by a space character.

For example, FP Description field (data as entered):

This is the real test for the MySQL import.

This field will contain all sorts of characters

Soft Tab

Another soft Tab

MySQL version (after import into MySQL);

This is the real test for the MySQL import.(x2 carriage return characters)This field will contain all sorts of characters(x1 carriage return character) Soft Tab(x1 carriage return character) Another soft Tab(x1 carriage return character)

Ironically, when I zoom down or up from 100% the 'tadpole' characters disappear.

Am I doing something that's incorrect? Is it a character set issue?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

This topic is 4370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.