Filemaker Go cannot access hosted database via internet

This topic is 4323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I've been having a problem accessing a database with FM Go 12 that is being hosted at my office with FM Pro 12(shared with instant web publishing). All the programs were updated to the latest versions, and I am able to access the database from any computer (through the network or by internet access) connected to the web using the host's IP.

I am also able to access the database when using Safari on my ipad, however, it cannot be opened and I keep getting the same error message: "either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host".

I have no problems accessing the database with other computers via the internet or network.

I am also able to access the database through my ipad when connected to the same network as the host, but not while I am outside of the network.

I am able to access the database through safari on my ipad when connected to the internet, but not if I use FM Go.

I was wondering if there are any special settings that need to be made to make sure that the database can be accessed by FM Go through the web? Or am i required to have FM server or Advanced for this feature? I've been having some difficulty finding the answers to this, and I was hoping that someone from this forum knew of a possible solution.

Thanks!

It is possible that the file is not set up for FileMaker Network sharing, only for IWP. This would result in the error you are getting.

However if the file is hosted with IWP, and you intend IWP to be the main user interface then there is no need for FM Go: just use Safari web browser.

• Newbies

Thanks for the reply,

Sorry just wanted to clarify something: so for accessing the file via internet (outside of the host's network) with FM Go, both IWP and Network Sharing need to be on? I will have to check again when I go home, but I'm certain that both were enabled.

Oh and using Safari on the ipad/iphone to access the database wasn't that convenient and a bit buggy, and my manager wanted to be able to access the database while working abroad on his ipad.

Thanks again

You need to define what you mean by "accessing the file via the internet" because there are two main ways.

One is using FileMaker Networking, which happens over port 5003 when you open a database with FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go. The other way is using one of the web technologies like IWP or CWP, which happens over port 80 and you view the database through a web browser.

Please note the distinction: one is through FM Pro or FM Go client software, one is through the web browser.

If you want to access a database by IWP or FM networking then those services must be activated for the file AND the user accounts must have permission to access the files using these services.

You have now mentioned "accessing the file via internet (outside of the host's network)" which changes things a bit. To view anything that's INSIDE your local area network from OUTSIDE on the greater internet you need to set up port forwarding on the routers inside your network. Also check that firewalls are not blocking the traffic.

• 1 month later...

Ive got a similar issue but ive got a PC running FM server 12 adv on my network and ive got FM go 12 on my ipad connected to the same network via wireless. I add my PC to the list on FM go 12 with its ip address but i can see any of the files on it. All my files i can see if i use open remote on FM Client 12 on any computer on the network running FM client 12 but my ipad wont see them. Even if i try to manually type the name in the field it says host either unavailable or file not found error. windows firewall says its disabled and my antivirus is disabled as well. What can be the issue?

I have a client i need to set up this way but i gotta figure it out why it aint working on my system first.

Mark

This topic is 4323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.