Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker and Google Earth kmz files?

This topic is 4310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I use the google earth stand alone to edit and view plot maps. I have created my database in FM 11 Adv and have it working correctly but I would like to include my plot maps within my database according to individual tract numbers. Is it even possible to do this? Any suggestions? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi rowit,

I am a fairly novice user myself too, and coincidentally I think I am trying to solve a similar problem.

From what I have researched on my own, I understand that in order to use "external/live" data into Google Earth you need to publish it as KML (not KMZ).

As a sub-scenario, if this data is modified continuously, then you need to publish it on request every time Google Earth refreshes. This is done through PHP scripting which connects to the database you have stored your info and extracts the data you want following an XML syntax (KML is loosely regarded as XML).

Otherwise, you will have to implement this syntax by combining variables, fields and calculations yourself statically everytime and produce a separate KML file which you will import in GE rather than connecting through a metwork link.

However, I also think the complex scenario (live refresh) can only be implemented using Filemaker Server.

I hope I have helped you as far as the general idea and principles are concerned, for I haven't yet implemented this myself.

I am however greatly interested in the concept, so if anyone else can enlighten us in a more profound way I am really looking forward to listening.

Update: I did some search myself and found something similar discussed here that might be of interest.

This topic is 4310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.