Locking objects in layout mode should only lock position and size

This topic is 4304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Locking objects in layout mode should only lock position and size. And not prevent re-naming, button assignment, conditional formatting or any other attribute. This would effect all objects portals, tab, buttons, fields, text blocks etc..

The only reason I lock an object is to prevent bumping it or accidentally moving it. Locking the other attributes serves no purpose since the developer has permission to unlock the object. However locking-unlocking to change the other attributes adds an extra steps.

Two examples of where this would speed things up.

1. With the new behavior in 12 that selects an object when only part of the object is touched, it’s very easy to select the tab control or portal under the objects when you are selecting multiple objects, unless the tab control or portal is locked. Unlocking and re-locking a tab control or portal is a pain when I only want to change some other attributes. Usually I forget it’s locked and have to cancel, then unlock, and then re-lock when I am done changing the attribute.

2. When I select text field with the text tool, FileMaker trims the text, which re sizes the text block. If the text block has any formatting such as border and fill, it all changes size when FileMaker trims, even if I don’t want the size changed. I have many text labels that are the same size and are aligned together. If locking prevented trimming, (currently locking does not prevent trimming) and locking did not prevent changing the text, I would not have re size and realign after changing the text.

This topic is 4304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.