Drop Down Box Problems

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm a novice user of Filemaker 10 and am having an issue with a drop down box population. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have two databases:

Database 1 contains a listing of new students and their information - this database contains fields for information related to their "mentor"

Database 2 contains all of the information related to the 27 mentors.

I am trying to set it up so when I click on the "Mentor Last Name" field in Database 1 - a dropdown box will appear with all of the mentor last names from Database 2

In addition...I would like the remaining fields related to the the mentor (ie. first name, major, etc) to automatically populate based on the last name selected in the "Mentor Last Name" field.

I believe I have all of the relationships set and the value lists created but when I click the arrow next to the "Mentor Last Name" field, nothing appears.

I am completely stumped. I would be willing to email the files for someone to look at for me.

Thank you.

Database 1 contains a listing of new students and their information - this database contains fields for information related to their "mentor"

Database 2 contains all of the information related to the 27 mentors.

Hi Chris,

aren't mentors students, too? And isn't “new” just a term relative to a student's entry date? You probably should have one general Students table, in which some students are flagged as (potential) mentors, and add another table where you bring students and mentors together. Otherwise, what happens when after some time, one of those “new” students becomes a mentor her-/himself?

As for the value list issue, feel free to post your file in this thread.

This topic is 4330 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.