Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP5.5 Startup Error on Windows

cmdrsalamander

This topic is 7058 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I have an issue that I hope that some of you might be able to help with. On my computer (Dell/W2K/128), I have FMP 5.0 Unlimited installed. I recently installed FMP5.5. After I restart the computer, I try to open FMP5.5 and I get a startup error. It's a dialog box that pops up and says

"This application has been installed incorrectly or modified by another program. Please run the Installer to get a fresh copy of the application after determining the cause."

Now, this message might as well have an error number attached because I have no idea what's going on. FMP installs have always been straightforward and no other program is running that could interfere.

Any comments or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Salman Sheikh

• 2 years later...
  • Newbies

I just ran into this same "This application has been installed incorrectly or modified by another program" message when trying to start FileMaker Pro 7.

I had recently fought with Nero and a similar goofy error - the cause is that I recently changed userids on my Windows XP machine, and the registry keys were owned by the other user. (Never mind that I supposedly have admimistrator permission.)

Uninstall FileMaker.

Run "regedt32", look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREFileMaker, and delete the hierarchy. You'll likely have to fuss around with the permissions and ownership of the keys - for me it was pretty tedious - but you'll likely be able to (eventually) remove the registry keys.

Then you should be able to reinstall.

Egregious nonsense like this is why I generally detest Windows. Why couldn't the error message mention the registry? Why couldn't it say what it thought was wrong? Why can't Windows XP manage to maintain a coherent registry? Ah, sweet mysteries of life.

Cheers!

John Sellens

(and yes, I realize the question was posted almost 3 years ago, but I'm hoping to save the next victim some grief by documenting the solution that worked for me!)

This topic is 7058 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.