Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 5 database filesharing on NT server

Vaughan

This topic is 8102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is the *worst* way to share FMP databases! It will lead to file corruption, data loss and wasted time: I've been working with people who believed that daily crash-and-restore is normal! It's not. Others will concur.

Get a machine and dedicate it to being a FM Host. Get another license of FMP (or better yet FM Server) and open the databases on this host. Turn off file sharing and web serving and all other non-essential stuff. Delete (or zip) all other copies of the databases from the network (yes all of them!). Get a backup system working for the server. Teach people to access the databases by opening them fom the Host, or create a "opener" file to automate the process.

(Search the forum for info on creating opener fies.)

• Newbies

I'm experiencing a weird problem that I haven't been able to figure out yet. I have a Filemaker 5 database that's stored on an NT server, inside a folder ("newadmits") that's nested under a user folder ("jolson"). Both folders are shared: serverdjolsonnewadmits$, serverjolson$.

For some reason, if another user ("ltan") tries to open the database on her own (through the network), it opens as read-only. I've given the "ltan" account full control permissions to the serverdjolsonnewadmits folder, but it still opens as read-only. The weird thing is, if "jolson" and "ltan" open the database simultaneously, it no longer opens as read-only for ltan. the database opens normally only if jolson opens it first, otherwise it opens as read-only.

I'm not sure if my explanation makes sense, but if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, please post your suggestions. Thanks.

This topic is 8102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.