Looping through another layout to input data in a seperate layout

This topic is 4264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, not sure where to start on this scripting. I can do very very basic scripting. Another member on these forums was nice enough to get my database set up but now I need to script to finish the database. Here is what I have.

The import record brings in data from an EXCEL spreadsheet to an enrollment layout. Now I need to bring in the data from that to a Student Record layout so the information shows in a portal as one student schedule and one record. If I try it any other way I get 7 records for the same student. Not sure where to start.

The member stated to write a script that first sorts by student name, then loops through the records and marks duplicates, then finds the singletons and imports them and their IDs into students, then go back, and do the same for Courses. I worked on trying to loop but the main question that I have that I am running into problems is how to import filed data from another layout. Everytime I go to import records it takes me to an external file.

I have attached the sample database and the EXCEL spreadsheet I am working from.

StudentRecords_FMForum_normalized Copy_FMForum_Aug132012.zip

Book3_FMFORUM_Aug132012.zip

This shows you how do to a looping script and import the unique entries. Apply the same principle to Courses. As mentioned, if you already have existing students or courses, you need to do additional checks while marking the imported entries as unique.

btw, even when you want to import within the same file, you have to select it like any other file.

StudentRecords_FMForum_normalized Copy_FMForum_Aug132012 loopclean.fmp12.zip

You are awesome. Thank you for your help. Do you have a suggestions on any book that I can read that will help me with scripting? I have been looking but not sure where. Many people like you have experience with scripting but where did you get your knowledge? Thank you.

You're welcome. Get a good book on FileMaker, like The Missing Manual or The FileMaker 10 Bible (obviously a bit dated, but the basic concepts apply, and you'll find coverage on a lot of advanced topics). Both have several sections devoted to scripting.

Apart from that: get to know your tools, and practice, practice … :smile:

This topic is 4264 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.