Please critique this ERD

Greg Tuite

This topic is 4258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I originally started a version of this ERD in 1990. There is no more Claris Works on Mac OS Lion to open it with so I'm starting fresh. Actually I am currently using a multiple file database to track information in a law firm that is based on a similar structure, but I have decided to redesign it with FMP 12. After pondering this for a number of days I have come up with the structure in the attached diagram. I know that there are other ways to do this, but this is what my brain comes up with. I would appreciate any input or questions.

We use this to track clients, their court dates and court venues, the adjuster and attorneys who are assigned to the file, the expenses associated with the file, and case notes that describe contacts with clients, doctors, attorneys. Multiple forms and letters are produced. I want to add in a "tasks" function that associates "to-do" items to the matter.

Again, thanks for taking a look.

GTA ERD.pdf

Let me add a little more info.

Clients - Table hold info about each client: name, address, dob, gender etc.,

Matters- date of injury, how injury occurred, case number, claim number. This will vary by type of legal matter,

Adverse Party - the legal entity, person or agency that is on the "other side" of the matter,

Insurance Company- the insurance carrier that provides coverage to the adverse party. They have adjusters who handle the claim for the company,

Law Firms - represent the adverse party in court. They assign an attorney to handle the matter,

Hearing Sites - whether the matter is venued - a particular place, often a courthouse. A hearing officer (or judge is assigned to hear the matter),

Litigation costs - cost incurred that the client pays to proceed with the matter - medical records, investigator expenses,

Damages - individual medical bills from different providers, periods of time lost from work while recovering for injury,

Events - this covers notes made to the file form communications, deadlines, tasks, to-do items. (Don't have this now - only have a "case notes" table to track,

Contacts - a table with a list of people who may be involved - doctors, hospitals, vocational personal. A directory of people and organizations.

I only looked at it for a few minutes, but it mostly seems to make sense to me. The only part that seems off to me is "Events". I don't quite see how it will contain data from communications, deadlines, tasks, to-do items. I'm also hung-up on the name "Events". It seems to me that "Notes" would be more fitting; but apparently I don't quite get it's purpose, so I could be wrong here.

Thanks for the response. I had a similar feeling about Events. I currently have a table called case notes that tracks out notes and communications regarding the file. I could keep that the same and create a "Tasks" table that tracks things that need to be done and are done with the Matter.

This topic is 4258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.