Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Not sure if this is the right place. Entering name in one table to return data from another table (if it exists)

This topic is 4214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

First, if it makes a difference, I work for a law firm. Technology has always been a backburner item so this particular need has not previously existed (at least not here). We have a process called a "lit hold" which I'll outline below.

• Lit hold process begins, a notification of which client is affected and what attorneys have worked on that client is distributed.
  • An attorney affected by lit hold leaves the firm, their computer must be retained for review (rather than get reimaged or disposed of). Any attorney still working for the firm keeps their computer, only the terminations affected by lit hold need to be retained.
  • (current process) I get the termination notice and have to dig through several lit hold documents and hundreds of names to find that attorney's name or employee number then correlate it to the appropriate hold numbers and recover that computer.

I'm trying to put a DB together to help with this process. What I'd like to do is enter the data as it comes in (for lit holds and terms), then produce a report that can tell me if any of my terminations have a lit hold against their computer. If the terminated person has no lit holds against them I need to know that as well. This is probably a very simple thing but I have no idea how to make it work.

How do I do that? I'm thinking that I will use two tables, a LitHold table that contains the litigation number, the employee names and their employee number. A second table to gather the Terminations. Not sure where to go from there...

How about being able to search the employee ID from the Terminations table and seeing if there are any matching results in the LitHolds table? Is that possible?

This topic is 4214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.