Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Starting Admin console

wvms

This topic is 4196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Our old Power PC server crashed, so I installed fms9 on a 10.6 Intel box, and copied the Data folder over. At startup Admin server console wouldn't start. I checked the forums ansd followed advice to clear Java cache. That worked. Sort of. Now the conswole tries to start up but says "Database server not running." Found the same issue in the forums for FMS10. As in that case, the server *is* running and clients can open databases. As the old poster said, "For a server that's not running it gives a good impression of one that is."

One solutiion offered was that there might be two versions of Filoemaker Server running. The previous poster killed one ansd said the problem was solved.

Stupid question: Just where is/are server(s) running. They're not in Applications. Seems to be in the Library. But there I see only one server app, or something that looks like one.

So I have a working server but somehow it has lost one database (that should have been in the Data folder with eveything else???). To fix that I need the Admin console.

Suggestions?

• Newbies

Addendum to the above. Ended up reinstalling FMS9. The Filemaker updates page has an update that says, among other things, that it fixes the problem of the Admin Server Console not starting. When I go to install the update I get "Cannot install whilie Filemake Server is running. Quit Filemaker Server." Catch 22: How do I quit Filemaker Server when the Admin Console won't start?

Hi wvms:

You should be able to stop the server from the command line (using Terminal on the Mac). I barely ever use the command line so I won't give you faulty instructions here. Use of the command line is very well documented though, and it's a great way to steer around the Admin Console and its quirky behavior.

Cheers

Stanley

Have you tried ALT-CMD-ESC to force quit?

Also try your Activity Monitor (located in Utilities) to select it and click on "Quit Process".

It must be loaded in Startup Items or a simple reboot would kill it so be sure to remove it from startup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Yeah, l figured outthat I coulddoit with the command line and installed the update. Butthe Admin Console still doesn't start. Same "Can't find the server" message. Is there another update out there?

I can keep using the command line to do most of what I need, but I want to make this accessible to our office manager.

wvms,

I also faced the same problem in my side.

I have resolved this issue in the following way:

1. Take the backups from the server.

2. Uninstall it.

3. Delete the FileMaker server folder from Library

4. Restart the system, and install it again.

I faced this problem while installing FileMaker Server 11 Advanced on my Mac.

This topic is 4196 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.