Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Moving from OS X Server to Windows Server

This topic is 4194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi.

Sorry if this is a long post. I'll try to be concise.

I have a G5 xServe running 10.5 that has been running my FileMaker Server Advanced 10 server. I currently have a 10.6 OD network (consisting of two Open Directory servers). There is no money in the budget for another Mac server, however, we have an VMWare host that has plenty of ram to create a new vm for FileMaker Server running Windows. Easy solution, or so I thought.

Currently Filemaker server is set for external authentication and goes to OD for multiple groups. Works great for Filemaker clients as well as for IWP.

Installed 2008 (non R2 as that can not connect to a PDC (NT 4) domain that the OD server emulates) and joined to domain. Logged on as two different OD users to verify that it works with OD. (I currently also have two 2008 servers running TS that also use OD for authentication with no problem). Shutdown FMAS on xServe, copied databases, and shut down xServe. Installed FMAS 10 on windows. Copied databases over. Tried to log in as OD user through client...no dice. Logged in with local filemaker user...no problem. Turned of IPv6 on network card in 2008...no dice. Changed security settings in 2008 for NTLM v1 and v2...no dice. Tried making a new local group and adding OD users...no dice.Any body have any experience in this? Again, was working with external authentication in 10.5, but doesn't work in 2008. Double and triple checked

Recap.

10.6 Open Directory

2008 64 bit server running Filemaker Server Advanced 10 v2

cannot authenticate

Currently Filemaker server is set for external authentication and goes to OD for multiple groups. Works great for Filemaker clients as well as for IWP.

It's not FMS that "goes to OD" it's actually the operating system: FMS passes the authentication request to the OS and the OS looks up the directory. So the OS of the host computer needs to be attached to the Active Directory. Yes, you'll need to change to AD to use Windows.

• Newbies

It's not FMS that "goes to OD" it's actually the operating system: FMS passes the authentication request to the OS and the OS looks up the directory. So the OS of the host computer needs to be attached to the Active Directory. Yes, you'll need to change to AD to use Windows.

I do not think this is correct. First, sorry about syntax. I will try to be more precise. Windows 2008 is connected to the OS X server functioning as a PDC. I can log on with Open Directory credentials on the Windows 2008 server, so authentication is working from the OS, and the OS (Windows 2008) therefor should be able to pass authentication to FileMaker Server.

This topic is 4194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.