Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Moving previous container data to Remote not working...

This topic is 4084 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I am currently migrating my container fields that used references to their files to the new external container fields in FM12. When I import my data into the new file, the references in the containers did not migrate to the container that I set up. What am I missing? If I add new data to the containers, they do go to the remote container, but those that already had a reference are not. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I've got the same problem.

My database contains several images in containers setup with 'stored by reference' and now I want to store all the pictures externally.

I tried to  'Set Field' with the a new container (remote storage) as the Target and the original container (by reference) as the Result. The picture is copied but it's not stored externally.

Have you found a work around for it?

I've got the same problem.

My database contains several images in containers setup with 'stored by reference' and now I want to store all the pictures externally.

I tried to  'Set Field' with the a new container (remote storage) as the Target and the original container (by reference) as the Result. The picture is copied but it's not stored externally.

Have you found a work around for it?

I found in the documentation from FileMaker that these images or files stored with the reference only will not be imported when changing to external containers. Since this was a relatively newer feature in my solution that I was implementing, I had very few users who had invested already in a lot of images. I gave them a heads up and then made the move to the newer way of storing them. So, sorry not much of help to you. You could perhaps do an export to the temporary folder and then import them into another field which is set up to do external storage and then bring them back into your original field afterwards. Just a thought and I haven't tried again for the reasons I mentioned of having few users. 

• Newbies

Unfortunately I created a workaround.

I exported the image from the old container to the disk saving also the name of the file in a global text field. (i.e this-is-my-photo.jpg)

Then imported that picture in the new container with external storage.

Big headache...at least for me :P

Unfortunately I created a workaround.

I exported the image from the old container to the disk saving also the name of the file in a global text field. (i.e this-is-my-photo.jpg)

Then imported that picture in the new container with external storage.

Big headache...at least for me :tongue:

Yeah, that's pretty much I believe to be the only option....exporting the file, then importing it again.

This topic is 4084 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.