List View Filter

Chuck

This topic is 8375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know of a way to filer the items in a list view? I'm trying to think of a way to have a field available where the user could perform a quick entry and the items that show would be pared down to those records that match the entry.

Ideally, what I would like is for a text area to appear at the top of the list where the user can enter a few letters. As the user does so, the items in the found set reduce to those that match the letters.

So far the only way I can think to do this is with a portal, which I would like to avoid if possible. A major roadblock is that I can't have a field be enterable in the header of the layout.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chuck

I am familiar with that technique, and it is the type of functionality I'm looking for, but what I want is to be able to do that with a list view instead of with a portal. If I really have to I might go for the portal solution, trying to duplicate as much as possible the look of a list view, even with the extra scroll bar. But I'm hoping to avoid that and be able to do this with just local data.

Chuck

Hello Chuck,

i think it will be better to you to try some other kind of solution because of a Value List (not relation-based) overrides any type of found set, giving you the scope on the entire file.

I usually use a partial text search, accomplished in a global field, (your text field) and then i switch to a list form where to choose the proper item; this done the item is pasted in the proper field when i come back to the original form.

It's tedious, but it works.

Best regards.

This topic is 8375 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.