Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using Variable to pick field in Set Field Script Step

This topic is 8703 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've got an interesting problem. Here's the setup.

FMP 4.0v2, G3 Mac/os 9

I've got a database that tracks the different services provided by various vendors (we use this to publish a directory). Each category (Photographers, Graphic Designers, Printers, etc) has anywhere from 15 to 60 items (that are yes/no) identifing what specific services they provide.

Here's the problem. I want to create a list of each one of the vendors that performs a specific service (this is to go on the web, I've already got the printed solution down)... In other words, I want a list of all of the Photographers that handle digital photography, and then another list of folks that annual reports, etc.

My current solution is to enter the find mode, set the specific service to yes, perform find and then export the information.

Is there a way to script this so i don't have do all 250 specific services individually?

One way that I thought of was to create a separate db file with the names of all of the fields (representing the specific services). A script would then get the field name and then go back to the main datafile and perform the find. Unfortunately, I'm lost as to how to assign the field name in the "Set Field" function using a variable, instead of choosing a one from the list of fields, when I'm creating the find request.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

• Newbies

Well, after talking to a friend (who happens to be a Filemaker Consultant), I think we've found the fix.

Basically create a calculation field for each record that identifies the fields that have "Yes"'s and then do a search based on that field ("fieldname=yes") ... or something like that....

This topic is 8703 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.