splitting lines

This topic is 8487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. Simple problem--can't believe there's not a solution. I have the EASIEST layout I've ever assembled. All it consists of is a list of text fields. They're all set to slide and shrink, and that works fine. However, when a field splits between two pages, parts of a line are printed on the bottom of the first page, and the rest of the line is printed on the top of the next page. How can I prevent this? It seems rather simple, and I can't believe FMP would allow text to be cut like this. Help.

Bevin

Bevin,

What you are describing is a problem that can often be experienced when sliding and shrinking are turned on. There is however a feature in FM 4 that may help you, I have never tried.

Enter Layout mode and down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Win) while choosing Layout Setup from the Mode menu. You will see a new check box called New Break. Turn on the option and check it out.

This feature has been incorporated into FileMaker Pro 5.0 and is automatically turned on.

Hope this helps.

So, I brought my database back to 4.1, and tried the "new break" option. Now, it still messes up text, but not in the same way. Instead of getting chopped in half, the text "disappears" on the top of the new page, as if it is trying to fit into too-small of a line. So I've tried more things--using merge fields instead; changing custom line spacing. This all seems ridiculous, and even more so that the feature is in fact not working at all in 5.0.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 8487 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.