Opening pdf files from FMP

This topic is 8286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Greetings to all!

I wish to access a large collection of medical articles saved in pdf for consultation.

Actually, by clicking a row in a portal I call a script which looks the path of the article on the disk (file:///HD:documents: file.pdf) and, in cascade, by opening Explorer, calls Acrobat to view the file.

The procedure seems to me not too much elegant, but I cannot do otherwise: e.g. to open the documents directly from FMP without passing through the browser.

Is there anybody who can give me a help? Thanks a lot!

Antonio Perasole

I had the same problem with a legal database I am creating. I eventually used the Troi file plug-in building a script based around the Launch function (linked to a button on the record) and the Getpathto command to make the launch command a bit more dynamic (The pdf files are stored in a sub-directory of the folder in which my database files are stored). As an alternative you may be able to use the send message command which is inbuilt into Filemaker 5, however I do not know this function well. The troi file plug-in rocks and Peter was extremely helpful and professional in responding to my questions. Hope this helps.

This topic is 8286 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.