Who is John?

This topic is 8204 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A user just phoned me up with a database problem: empty file, no records, layouts or fields. Looks like it's been trashed -- on network server with no password. <sigh> Trying to restore from server backup as I type.

In desperation they opened the database in MS Word. Try it yourself! (Make a b/u just in case.) Open as Text Only.

So who is John?

Too bad about your clients. We know that approximately 5 of every 6 netorks will be the target of a security incursion during the year.

Use a good password system. And do not try to "improve" on the built-in FileMaker Pro password system. You WILL almost always WEAKEN your security, rather than enhance it.

Old Advance Man

Oh, they aren't my clients so it's not my problem either!

I'm the FMP wizard around this large organisation I work in, and I get phoned up whenever there are problems even if it's somebody elses database. Make that *especially* if it's somebody elses database.

Had they been my "clients" the database would have been password protected and taken off the network server and put onto a FM host of some sort -- even just a PC in the corner running FMP. Users are then given an opener file on their desktops to access the system.

This topic is 8204 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.