Vertical "tabs" impossible?

This topic is 8151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would just like confirmation from anyone that this cannot be done (or better, prove me wrong!).

I would like to create a tabbed interface, but with "tabs" not only placed horizontally, in the header, but also vertically, to the left side of the records.

Now, as long as you are in "Form View" this works OK. But when switching to "List View", the all elements (of course) repeat themselves.

I wish there was not only a header layout part, but also a "left/right margin" layout part...

Is there any graphic trick to make this work in a list view?

I was inspired by Nico Kuilmans "Navigator" which can be downloaded from http://home.hetnet.nl/~kuilman-bond/Software/Navigator.sit

Thanks for any input,

Daniel

How about creating a 'floating' vertical tabbed pallet, which is really just another file? This could be position to appear to the left of any window you needed it for.

Another way, would be with a web layout.

Other suggestions welcome, I am sure....

Cheers,

quote:

Originally posted by Tokyo-B:

How about creating a 'floating' vertical tabbed pallet, which is really just another file? This could be position to appear to the left of any window you needed it for.

Cheers,

Yeah, I thought of that but I don't like it. Since you cannot make windows dock to each other in a consistent manner the users will be able to move the windows around and moving parts of the user interface would look quite funny (well, not good however).

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway ???-)

/Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

You could change the layout to form view and display the list of records using a portal and self-join relationship. It's not quite the same but may be similar enough.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Unfortunately, portals have their limitations and I don't think they work well in this case...???

* When you click outside a portal, it scrolls back to the first record in it

* Only works properly for some hundreds of records or so. When you get a couple of thousand records, the scroll bar gets "screwed up" and it's hard to scroll the records in the portal.

I'll give the "header" trick a try though!

Thanks,

Daniel

This topic is 8151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.