FMS11 server not respecting regional date settings?

brian rich

This topic is 2605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a sales order processing database where each sales order line has a number of records related to it.  The related records have several date fields and from the context of the sales order line, I need to be able to establish the latest date in each of these date fields and store it in the sales order line for use later.

I chose to write a custom function to which would determine the latest date in a list of dates, so I could evaluate each set of related dates in turn.  To work out the latest date in the list, I decided to turn the list of dates into numbers using the getAsNumber() function, finding the largest number in the list and converting it back to a date again using the getAsDate() function.  I then included this calculation in a script the would run through the selected order lines and evaluate the latest dates from the records

Now I'm in the UK, so our 'normal' date structure is dd/mm/yyyy.  When I run the script on an FMP11 Client, using a UK regionalised version of Windows 7,  the calculations  work as expected and the sales order lines end up with the correct latest dates.  If I run the same script on the server, the latest dates either end up transposed or indeterminate.   For example if the latest date is 12th March 2014, the result from running on the FMP client is 12/03/2014 whereas the result from the server is 03/12/2014  (3rd December 2014 in UK speak!).  If it were 25th March 2014, the server returns ?

It appears that the server doesn't respect local regional date settings and will always use the US date formats. A bit of Googling suggests that this has been an issue for other non-US users, although I can't find a solution explicitly referenced in these forums or on Technet

Is this the case, and does this problem persist through to FMP12 and FMP13 servers?

If so is there a way to reliably determine the date settings on the current platform, so it is possible to know which 'result' I am going to end up with and translate accordingly?  I'd setting for a platform independant way of doing the calculation as an alternative.  ;)

Thanks

Brian

Perhaps this may have more to do with the config of your server OS than FMS 11 or the file itself?

Alternately make sure the regional settings on the file are correct as well.  You will have to open the file locally to change them.

See the following link regarding the File Options menu command and the Data Entry portion where it describes these settings.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/11/fmp/html/create_db.8.4.html

This topic is 2605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rich
      Greets, and a happy, holiday season to all.
      This is one of those "Well, I could swear it _used_ to work..." FMP (PC) problems: I want a script to create a custom-named folder on the desktop (PC) [for exporting data purposes] so I used the following (see attached) Send Event command: 
      "cmd /c md " & Quote ( Right ( Get ( DesktopPath ) ; Length ( Get ( DesktopPath ) ) -1 ) & "Job Chop-Chop! Backup" )
      ...in earlier versions of FMP--and if memory serves--it used to work. (See https://fmrift.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/creating-a-folder-from-filemaker-windows/ ). However, when I try to run the script in FMP v17.x the script fails with the following error message in the Script Debugger, "[3] Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system or mode)".
      So, I'm trying to figure out why the command's failing--could it possibly be it's because I'm using FMP (PC) in VMWare's Fusion PC emulator (v10.1.4, running in OS Mojave) instead of on a "real" PC? Any ideas for a tweak/fix?
      Cheers,
      Rich

• By jrich4411
      Good evening people.  As the title states, I am a complete newbie to FileMaker Pro.  I've done some fairly extensive work with Excel, but this is my first experience with databases.
      For now, I'm looking for advice and suggestions.  I promise I will have plenty of "how do I... " questions later, but for now I need to pick a direction to go in with my new project.  I've spent a bunch of hours viewing Intro to FileMaker tutorials on YouTube and I've experimented with creating a couple test databases.  If this is not the correct forum for this question, please let me know.
      So, my wife and daughter are heavily involved with riding horses.  I've been drafted into being on the Board of Directors for our state Quarter Horse Association (Quarter Horse is a breed like Thoroughbred or Clydesdale).   The first thing I discovered is that they have NO association membership database of any sort.   What they do have is simply a file folder of applications for members, one folder for each year.  Me being an I.T. geek by trade, I know there is a better way.  I've at least entered the info into a spreadsheet (my specialty) so we have the info electronically to be able to reference current membership status during our shows.
      I wish to create a database for the membership, which I've done so far.  It has basic info - name, address, etc.  I have an ID field that automatically increments with each record - seems to be a strong recommendation in the tutorials I watched.  I have a field that combines the first & last name fields which I plan on using for looking up membership info, sending renewals, etc later.  I also have a membership year field and here comes my first question.  When I renew a member for the new year, I want to keep the previous year's record in the database - should I ever want to print a report for 2016 membership in 2019 for instance, I can.  So I figure I need a static member ID field that is separate from the record ID field I already have that can be linked to another database which will hold that member's horse information.   Is it possible to have a field that will increment serially when I add a new member but will copy from the previous year's info when I renew a member for a new year?  
      I'm looking for any and all suggestions - links to videos that might help - suggestions for a better way of accomplishing my goal, anything at all.   I'm not a programmer so I don't have that background FYI.
      Thanks!

Jon
    • By GeoSteven
      I am running a server side script that attempts to update records in a MySQL table that is set up as an external data source. It runs without issue for hours to weeks at a time then gets hung on error 512 (Record was already modified by another user). The problem is that I can't figure out how to capture and handle this error. I've tried adding "If get(lasterror)=512 then <skip this record and continue to next> just after the 'Go to Record(next)' but it never gets to that step. Instead hangs on try to move the record pointer and writing error after error to the log. 
      I've searched the forums fairly thoroughly but there is not a lot of info forthcoming. Surely this has been a problem for someone else that has figured out how to handle it. Any suggestions appreciated.
      Will be glad to provide more info on the environment if needed.
      Thanks in advance,
      Steve
    • By vincenzo
      Hello, I am using l am filemaker 15 pro advanced in windows 10 computer (64 bit, 8gb ram).  I buy it few week ago and i converted my database from the old version fm5. The database work properly but it is very slow to open, about 60 second or more. I am working as standalone (no remote connection). I noted thta if the PC is offline (no network or internet connection) the database open in less that 6 second. It is very strange because I have not any ip configuration and any sharing option... what can be the problem?
      Thank you in advance
      Vincenzo
    • By ggt667
      What is wrong when Database appears unavailable to the scheduler, yet regular users are logged in?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

6 members have viewed this topic:
    andrea.niro  Steve Martino  ernst  LAIRY  comment  rudym88 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.