Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3508 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Question: by mikeh123 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 pm

I know this may well be a filemaker related question so tell me if so but....

When creating an estimate or invoice and adding a line item the size of description field is limited. If for example I wanted to put in about 4 lines of text for the product item (as I would for server configurations) is there a way to auto expand it so it prints out on invoice or the PDF created.

I've tried and searched google looking how to auto expand it but can't seem to find a way within this system.

By all means point me in the direction of a FM website if this is a pure how to use filemaker request.

Thanks again.
--------------------
Hello Mike,

Do you want the portal lines to expand on the printout or on the system layout? If you want it to display in the system you will have to exand the height of each line item in the portal. If you would like the lines to expand on the printout here is there following explanation:

There are a couple ways expanding the printout lines but I think this one is the best. If you want about 4 lines of text to appear on the prinout you will need to change the printout so that the table is based from in the Invoice Line Items table occurence. Then set the description to be the maximum height that you will need (4 line, 10 line, half a page, etc.).

Open the inspector uner Position > Sliding and Visibitliy you will want to set the text feild to "Sliding up based on:" "All objects above" and also check "Also resize enclosing part".

This will cause the text field to resize based on the amount of text in the field. If there are three line only treelines will show if there are 10 lines, ten will show.

An example of this in FMSP is "L114_PRODUCTS_List_Report". The Description feild resizes based on how much text is in there.

If you would like more information on this look up the "Removing blank spaces in printouts" article in the FileMaker Pro Help section of FileMaker.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Calvin Mosiman

This topic is 3508 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.