Inserting URL for one record only.

This topic is 3415 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everyone. I just joined this forum as a complete newbie and have a question regarding inserting a URL into a record.

I'm using Filemaker as a database to keep track of color mixing formulas. So far this has worked just fine, but I'm thinking it would be a cool feature if I could insert a URL for each record that links to a picture of the finished product I'm using the mixed colors on. 

I tried doing this by creating a button with a "Go to URL" command. This works great, but it creates the same link on every record in my database. I want to use a unique URL for each and some won't have a link at all. 

I'm probably missing something obvious (very new to Filemaker) but it seems like there should be a way to insert a link on one record only. (I have over 2,000 records in the database).

Many thanks!

I tried doing this by creating a button with a "Go to URL" command.

IIUC, you hardcoded the URL within the button's script step; in this case, there is only that one URL in that one object, shared by all records in the table.

Instead, create a text field to store a URL with every record; now, rather than specifying a literal URL in the button, reference your URL field - which can be different for every record.

It may be a good idea to attach a script to your button; this allows you to capture an empty URL:

If [ IsEmpty ( YourTable::URL ) ] 
  Exit Script
  # or display an explanatory custom dialog
End If
Open URL [ YourTable::URL ]

• Newbies

IIUC, you hardcoded the URL within the button's script step; in this case, there is only that one URL in that one object, shared by all records in the table.

Instead, create a text field to store a URL with every record; now, rather than specifying a literal URL in the button, reference your URL field - which can be different for every record.

It may be a good idea to attach a script to your button; this allows you to capture an empty URL:

If [ IsEmpty ( YourTable::URL ) ] 
  Exit Script
  # or display an explanatory custom dialog
End If
Open URL [ YourTable::URL ]

Thanks. I'll give it a try. 

• Newbies

Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned that the url's I want to insert are just links to photos. So instead of using the "Go to URL" function, just created a Container Field and used the "Insert File" option.  I checked the "Store Reference to File" box and just attached the image this way. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works. 

Thanks again. 

This topic is 3415 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.